Chapter Thirty-two

The party was in full swing, and the mood had been set by the previous dances. Now everyone was mingling about and enjoying themselves, evident from the flushed cheeks on the ladies and the drinks the men were downing.

It had been so long since I'd been so social—not just having to talk to the maids, valets, and masters, that I was overwhelmed. I walked back to the sidelines and watched over everybody, hoping to blend in with the wall. A moment later I saw a woman briskly walking through the crowd of people towards me.

It seemed as though she had been searching me for some time, too.

The woman was well dressed, most likely a noble, her golden hair pinned up and crows' feet around her eyes. Her dress was high-necked and long-sleeved, black with white embroidery, more formal, but it showed her class. Maybe she was in half-morning, or was mourning for a distant relative.

"Good evening," she said, her smile wry and tense, her voice holding a bit of an accent. "You are one of the maids here, correct?"

"Yes, is there anything I could help with?" I asked, my heart almost coming out of my chest. I had nearly forgotten about this feeling after living in the Beardsley mansion without having to meet anyone from the outside.

"Yes, actually. There was a maid with you—shorter and with short brown hair, wearing a cream-colored dress. What is her name?"

"Oh, Beth? I mean, Bethany. Her name is Bethany Clock."

"Really?" She seemed a bit dubious. "Is she here right now?"

"I'm sorry," I said, "but I don't don't know where she currently is."

The lady had on the same smile, like she didn't exactly get what she was looking for, but she nodded.

"Thank you for telling me. Would you mind telling me where she is if you see her?"

"Sure."

The lady wandered off, and I was left wondering what that was about.

When the second round of dances began, I saw Augustin and Clo dancing, and Valentin and Rhiannon dancing. Silas was sipping wine with some other men, and I was about to relax when I felt a tap at my shoulder.

I jumped and then saw Tobias standing at my side. I hadn't even noticed him: he was like a cat.

"Master Tobias!" I sighed. "You scared me."

"It's tradition to not use titles in our Christmas Ball," he said, straightening his back. "After all, the purpose of this ball is to forget about our social standing for one night."

"I'm sorry," I said. "Then if I may, how are you enjoying the party, Tobias?"

"It's loud," he noted. "I've never really joined in something like this, and truth to be told, I don't know where to begin."

"How about a dance? There's so many ladies here. I think some are looking your way." Tobias grimaced.

"I don't dance."

"Oh." I wondered why he came to me, then.

"I have something to give you."

"Hmm?" I turned around to him, and he pulled a small box out of the breast-pocket of his suit-jacket. "What is it?"

"A present."

I gawked at him.

"I can't accept a gift from you!"

"It's an apology. And I wanted to try what you said last time."

"Huh?"

"Giving gifts with meaning," he said. His voice was monotonous, and his face not even turned to me, but looking out at the dance-floor, but his hand held the box out to me.