Chapter Thirty-nine

On the morning of the tea party I took out my everyday dress, then Beth and Clo gave it one look before showing their disdain for it.

"Come on!" Beth said. "We aren't working today, we are having a party!"

"Even Rhiannon finally dressed up," Clo said, turning around to show Rhiannon, who was wearing a powder blue dress. My eyes nearly fell out of its sockets: she looked youthful, no longer like she was attending a funeral, and her braid fell about her shoulder loosely, silky and golden. She smiled, still a dry smile, but most likely because of Clo's teasing.

"It's my only good dress," she said. "I wear it for Easter."

"Easter was last month, though," Beth said. But there she was, dressed up more gaudily than any of us, in a red and white dress that reached her calves—which would definitely upset Mister Kupka, and clean white gloves and stockings and heeled red shoes. It was no longer the season for boots, only.

"I don't have any other dresses," I whispered.

"No way!" Beth went into my wardrobe, which I was surprised she didn't memorize yet, and then my trunk, and sure enough, there were only long black or grey dresses or coats. Not even a simple Sunday dress like Clo's current purple one.

"This is a problem," Beth muttered. "Eugene would be disappointed."

"What do you mean?"

Ignoring me, Beth went into one of her trunks and dug through the dresses. On cue, both Clo and Rhiannon leaned over her to inspect the interior. One by one she pulled out dresses of multiple colors before throwing them to Clo or Rhiannon's hands.

"Let's choose one for Shuyan," she decided.

"I can't!" I looked at the dresses. "I've never wore anything like that, besides for the Christmas ball." And it was true: all her dresses were full of ribbons and had to be laced up. I didn't know how to wear it.

"My waist also isn't as small as yours," I added.

"You're skinny, I think you can fit," Rhiannon observed. She was right, I was skinny, most likely from my horrid diet at the orphanage, not because of Beth's rigorous corset routine.

"Stand up," Clo demanded, in her hands a pink dress. I stood up hesitantly, and she held the dress against my nightgown.

"I look horrid in bright pink," I said.

"Then this one." Rhiannon held a white dress against me. "This will suit you fine."

"That one is nice!" Clo added. I looked down at it. It had buttons from the neck down to the bodice, but ruffles around the shoulder-line and lace about the collar. There was a sash at the waist and the skirt billowed out and was long, reaching just above my ankles.

"They'll look nice with boots," said Beth. "And a big hat."

"Yes," Clo said. "Now turn around and we'll dress you up."

"No, I'm fine," I tried to argue, but the girls started prepping my hair, letting it loose with one white ribbon tying a part of it up, and dressing me up in the dress. It did fit perfectly, if not a bit too tight. I swirled one front of the mirror and was surprised to see myself.

My face was flushed and I was happy, and the girls too, surrounding me in a sea of red, purple, and blue. We laughed before going downstairs.

When we went downstairs, we were surprised to see the staff all dressed up too. They all wore a simple white shirt with trousers, some with vests, some without, and an assortment of cravats. They also all had their best hats and shoes on for occasion. Even Mister Kupka seemed to have styled his hair.