Chapter Nineteen

The day after the market I finally saw Master Eugene in his room again. It had been almost two months since I last saw him. I couldn't help but sigh in relief.

Like always, he was dressed in his night-clothes, and his hair was tidy and looked soft, like a child's under the sunlight from the window. The curtains were open, and he was gazing outside until I came.

"Good morning, Miss Shuyan," he greeted me, eyes softening. "You're smiling really big today, did something good happen?"

I touched my face—I didn't even realize I was smiling. It must've been because of yesterday and the relief at finally seeing him. I thought that he might've been forced by Mister Silas to never talk to me again.

"I went to Ravensborough's Market yesterday with the other maids," I said as he got his cane and got out of bed.

"And how was it?"

"It was a beautiful place. It was lively and there were so many various stores. I even petted a cat."

"Sounds wonderful." He propped his elbow on the armrest of the chair, leaned his head on his hand, and watched me with a gentle expression. He had a habit of doing that, and it made me nervous. It didn't make me feel like I was being appraised or scrutinized, like I often felt in public, but something else. Like I was being looked at as a girl—which might've even scarier. I had took off the sheets and was spreading on the covers when he spoke again.

"I'd like to go to Ravensborough's Market again some time. I haven't been to the town in years, in fact. I wonder if it changed." He laughed to himself. "No—it must've changed. Everything changes."

"Yes." I nodded. "There were a lot of stores that seemed new, and they sold everything. It's different, seeing merchandise laid out in stores like that. Ravensborough is big."

"The town is only a part of it," Eugene laughed. "There's also Ravensborough Park. It is beautiful, with lots of trees and flowers. It's nice for scrolling and sketching."

"You sketch?" I was smiling, surprised at this new fact about him. He grinned bashfully.

"Yes."

"I'd love to see it someday, if it doesn't bother you," I said. Eugene looked at me, then ran his fingers through his hair.

"Maybe, one day. I've always drawn landscapes—but now I don't go outside anymore. Silas wouldn't let me."

At the mention of the name, the mood changed. I finished tucking in the sheets, and then stood up. I had to think of something else to say.

"What other places around here do you recommend?"

"Me?" He looked back at me.

"I don't know what to recommend," he murmured, and gave me a sad smile. "As a child I lived with my mother and father in the countryside. It was only after the carriage accident that Lord Beardsley adopted me and I came here."

I froze.

"But," he continued, "Silas might know, since he's the only one who really leaves the house, although it's for business. I would like to say Augustin, too, but he only goes to buy books."

"I see." My voice was low.

"Is something wrong?"

"Master Eugene—" I paused.

"What is it?" His voice was soothing and gentle, luring me to ask what it was that I was so curious about.

But I wouldn't.

I choked back my words.

"No, never-mind. I was just wondering about your childhood. Can you tell me more?"