Chapter 1

I gasp for air as I awaken, clutching my chest as my heart beats wildly.

Cain is awake in an instant, and strokes my hair soothingly as he cradles me in his chest. "Nightmare again?" He mumbles into my neck. His hot breath against my claim soothes me.

I nod, but he already knew the answer. "Me or him?" He asks, and this routine is familiar. It's happened almost every night since Wilson kidnapped me three months ago.

Him, I answer, and flinch as I remembered the way his eyes didn't open once the knife was embedded in his tiny chest.

"Oh, pup," Cain nuzzles into my neck, and I feel slightly comforted. "You know if we ever were able to have a pup, nothing would happen to him? He would be the most protected thing in all of Blood Lake. Nothing could touch him."

That won't be an issue considering we won't ever have a pup anyways, I spat out at him, even though I knew my anger was misdirected.

"The healer from Crimson Shadow will be here in a couple of hours. Maybe she can heal your uterus," Cain stroked my half-ear gently.

Yes, because the other healers were so successful, I sarcastically responded. Multiple wolves were granted the Gift of healing. They were always incredibly revered in packs, since their skill was extremely valuable. It was a form of magic, making them technically Blessed by the Moon Goddess. Unfortunately for me, none of the healers were able to repair my wounded womb. They said that the damage was too severe, and that it's impossible for them to heal something that's basically been destroyed. I would need a completely regenerated womb in order to carry a pup, and magic healing can't regenerate body organs, and my body would reject any kind of transplant, since I am partly an Alpha, any one else's organs would be deemed as "too weak" by my body, and be instantly rejected.

"Even if you couldn't ever bear my pups, it doesn't change anything between us," Cain flipped me so that he was sitting halfway up, propped up against the headboard and I was straddling his waist. He held both of my hands in his much larger ones.

I nodded, staring into his dark eyes that were filled with concern.

"Heir or no heir, you'll always be my Luna. That's what the Blood Ceremony meant," Cain smiled as we both recalled the night I officially became the Blood Luna.

Wind blew my platinum hair wildly around me. The flowy white dress I wore went to my ankles, and silver arm cuffs adorned my arms, the only jewelry I accepted.

Cain stood in front of me, wearing nothing but black slacks. For him, that was dressing up. I will say, he looked as striking as ever. It was officially Spring, and the weather had slightly warmed in Blood Lake. It was chilly outside, but it was no longer snowing consistently. Cain cut his black locks so they were slightly shorter, but still long, and trimmed his unruly beard, now that Winter was over. Even though he looked undeniably hot all cleaned up, I was excited for the next Winter to come, so I could have my wild mountain man again.

My eyes raked up and down his body as the boring Elder continued his boring speech about Blood Lake traditions. This ceremony was so boring. At least I had something sexy to look at while this old man blabbers on and on about "moon goddess this, moon goddess that". As far as I was concerned, that bitch is still sexist.

Stop eye-fucking me, pup. I will end this ceremony right here and now, Cain warned me through our mindlink.

I resisted the urge to blush, having been caught staring at my beast of a mate. Instead, I smirked at him. Promise? This is boring. I could use a little bit of action.

Cain's eyes narrowed, and I briefly wondered if the other pack members could tell we were mindlinking each other. Would you be less bored if I told you that you would get to cut open my neck? Cain asked, and my eyebrows shot up in intrigue.

He hadn't told me much about the Ceremony leading up to it, not wanting me to worry about anything, and wanting to keep it a surprise.

Yes, that would make me less bored, I excitedly responded. The idea of slicing his neck with a knife made my hand twitch in anticipation. What? It's not like it would kill him, if it's part of the Blood Ceremony.

I'm going to pretend that you're excited to cut me open because you're happy to honor Blood Lake tradition, not because you actually want to cause me harm, Cain narrowed his eyes again. He was always so serious.

I just smiled in response. It wasn't personal, but I had been trying to slice him open with a knife since I first saw him. Literally.

I continued ignoring the boring Elder's boring speech and to pass the time quicker, I began recalling all of the murders I committed, from most bloody to least bloody.

I was on the memory of decapitating Jen when suddenly Cain started walking towards me, his muscles rippling with every step. His tattoos swirled around his body intricately, like walking
art.

He handed me small dagger. It was gorgeous. Gems decorated the hilt of the knife, and the blade was thin and sharp, just how I like it.

Cain made some boring speech to the pack about how we were going to drink each other's blood because it was tradition, and it combines our essences or some corny stuff like that. I'll admit, I tuned out most of it, occupied with how pretty the knife was, but also thinking about the mating that was sure to follow this ceremony. Not only did I get to cut Cain, but I also got to have sex with him? What a great day to be Ares.

Cain told me that it was time to begin. He extended his neck out, leaving his carotid artery exposed. He was so muscular, the vein was popping out of his skin.

I didn't think he would die if I severed it, but nevertheless, I decided I wouldn't cut it. I was sure he would bleed enough without it.

I confidently held the blade to his neck, my hand unwavering. I sliced the skin open easily. The blade really was severely sharp. I wondered where he got it from.

I caught the blood that fell from his neck in my mouth, and hesitated before drinking it. It surprisingly tasted good. Sweet, even.

He moaned as I licked the remaining blood. Soon enough, the blood stopped, and his neck was fully healed, only leaving a pale scar as evidence of the ceremony.

My turn, pup. Cain mindlinked me with a dangerous glint in his eyes. I can use the knife or I can just bite you roughly enough for you to bleed
a lot. Any preference?

I considered my options, and decided that it didn't matter either way. No matter what, I was sure that it wouldn't be that painful, and I already got the best gift ever tonight.

Whatever you prefer, Alpha, I answered noncommittally, and his grin widened. I knew he would like me yielding to him.

Unsurprisingly, he took the knife from my hand and placed it to the side. I knew he would choose the bite. It's what his wolf wants, I'm sure of it.

This is going to hurt, he said apologetically, but I smirked.

Do your worst, I provoked him. His eyes darkened and I could see that his wolf had control. Just how I like it.

His canines descended threateningly, and he truly looked like a monster. And I loved it.

I extended my neck to give him better access, and without hesitation, he brutally bit into my neck,
hard enough to make blood spill all over my dress. It was a perfect night.

"Ares?" Cain shook my shoulder a little bit, snapping me back into reality.

I smiled at him, in a better mood than I was when I first woke up.

Do you remember what we did after the Blood Ceremony? I asked him, playfully showing my canines.

His eyes darkened and he used his hands, still intertwined in mine, to pull me into him so I was laying on him instead of straddling him.

"How could I forget?"