Chapter 46

After Thane kissed me in the training center, I ran away, like the coward he turned me into. I have been to war, I have spilled blood and watched it run through my fingers and felt nothing. But as Thane spoke to me in that room, I have never known such terror.

I have to leave. I have to go back to Red Crescent, back to being myself. I have never felt so naked, so exposed to anyone, and I would rather die than feel this way.

Sprinting back to the Pack House, I collided into Thane's Beta, Leo upon opening the door.

"Goddess above, why are you running like a bat out of hell?" He laughs as he steadies me.

"Fuck off," I hiss, and shove past him. He's lucky I didn't do worse.

Leo snorts, unbothered by my piss-poor attitude. "I take it the date didn't go well?"

A harsh snarl is my only response as I run up the stairs, skipping three at a time, all but flying into my room, locking the door behind me.

I throw what few belongings I brought with me into my bag. I'm about to leave when there's a knock on the door, and I freeze.

"Ares, open the door," Thane orders, and I ignore him. "You know I can get in here if I want to."

I swear under my breath, and go to the window. My best chance at escaping is to leave through the window and hope I can outrun him. So, I punch the window, shattering the glass into pieces, and cutting my knuckles in the process.

I hear a loud banging sound, and I make the mistake of pausing as I'm halfway out of the window to look at the broken down door. Thane steps through, and looks bored as he says, "I really wish you didn't make me do that. It's going to be a real hassle to repair."

He looks at the glass on the floor. "And that."

I look out the window, one of my legs hanging over the edge, and I estimate that the drop is at least thirty feet.

"What exactly is your plan here, Ares?" He asks as he takes a step towards me, his green eyes glowing with amusement. "Even if you jump out the window, at the very least, you'll break an ankle or two, and that would make it very difficult for you to run."

I shrug. "Worth it," I say, and jump out the window.

I'm falling through the air, and I'm about ten feet away from the ground when a white mist wraps around my ankles, and instead of being pulled to the ground, it drags me back through the window.

"Bastard!" I yell at him once his stupid magic dissipates around my ankles after placing me on the floor in front of him.

"Interesting way of saying 'Thank you for not letting me break my ankles, Sexiest Alpha alive'" He muses.

I snarl, summoning a knife. "You can't keep me hostage here, Thane."

He raises his eyebrows. "Is it so awful for you to be in Blue Moon? Are you treated so terribly here you feel the need to run?"

My eyes narrow. He knows damn well that the Blue Moon wolves have been exceptionally welcoming and kind. Including him.

"That's what I thought," He smirks, and my grip on the hilt tightens, and I want nothing more than to cut his lips off. "I have to say, I didn't expect the notorious Gamma of Red Crescent to be so... cowardly."

Anger courses through my blood, boiling it. "What the fuck did you just call me?" I hiss, taking a step towards him, my blade extended.

"You're a coward," He says simply. "You use violence to keep people from getting close to you. You incite fear because you believe it to be safer than love."