Chapter 39

The world is ugly as shit right now, so here's another lighthearted/ uplifting chapter that I really enjoyed writing.

Please remember to be kind during times like these.

Also, since this statement pissed off so many people, I'll say it again:

Black lives matter.

"Axel told me I might find you here," I hear Cain's voice behind me. "I didn't know you were so handy."

I finish hammering the nail into the nearly completed fence, wiping sweat off of my brow. "Productively using weapons? Who would have thought," I say sarcastically, grabbing another post and nail.

"Here, let me," Cain offers, reaching for the hammer.

"It's fine," I say, aligning the nail. "I can do it."

"I could have had someone else build this, you didn't have to do it yourself," He mutters lowly.

"And miss out on my excellent workmanship?" I ask. "What a shame that would be," I say, driving the nail into the wood with one hard, precise swing.

"Sara said the pups were excited to see you today," Cain says, talking the hammer from my hand. "Didn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day, I heard."

I shrug noncommittally, handing Cain another nail.

"Maybe you should come back again sometime soon? I'm sure they'd like to see you more."

Sighing, I take the hammer back from Cain as he struggles, bending the nail from the lack of precision in his swings. I use the end of the hammer to pull out the dead nail, and hammer in a new one, finishing the fence.

"It's hard, you know?" I say quietly. Vulnerable, much too vulnerable for comfort. "To see the pups."

Cain pulls me into his arms. "Yes, I know how you feel."

"But..." I slowly say. "It does help. Being around them. Sort of fills the hole in my heart, you know?"

He nods. "You're a good Luna. Would have been a great Alpha."

"You think we'll have a girl?" I ask suddenly.

"Hm?" Cain asks, his thick brows furrowed in confusion.

"If we had a pup," I ask quietly. "Do you think the firstborn would be a girl? I mean, maybe since I kind of fucked up the whole male-Alpha thing, our firstborn would be a girl."

Cain is silent for a moment. "Let's not worry about that, okay? Problem for another day."

"It wouldn't be a problem," I argue, and he freezes. "If we had a girl first. She could be the Alpha."

"Maybe," Cain says slowly, his tone light, not wanting to upset me. "It would take time for Blood Lake to accept a female Alpha. We're still... evolving. Moving away from tradition. Not all wolves would be so accepting."

"Do the females have any issues with males harassing them?" I ask in surprise. I hadn't seen anything, but obviously none of them would be dumb enough to treat a female poorly in my presence. "Like opposing their training?"

Cain frowns. "Not for the most part, I don't think. Gwen mentioned some of the juniors in her weapons class being a little boisterous, but I'm sure it's just typical teenage behavior."

Hmm. We'll see about that.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••