Chapter 52

If I thought Cain was overbearing and controlling before my pre-death experience, it was nothing compared to how he was post-death.

I wasn't allowed to leave the Pack House for the last week. Cain was constantly with me, and when he had to leave the Pack House, he had five guards watching me closely. For my "safety"- or whatever.

And I was going absolutely insane.

"Good morning, pup," Cain says as he pulls me in closer, light streaming into the room from the window.

I scowl. "Are you letting me outside today?"

"No but-" He starts to say, but I cut him off.

"Then it's not a good morning," I hiss, untangling myself from Cain's arms.

I pace around the room, and he watches me closely, no doubt wondering if I'm going to try to make a break for it.

Which I have.

Twenty-two times and counting.

"Seriously, Cain, you can't keep me locked in here forever. I'm losing my mind!" By the time I'm done speaking, I'm shouting.

"It's for-" He begins.

"It's for my safety," I mock in a high-pitched voice, and Cain rolls his eyes. "Give it a rest, Cain. Notice the common thread in every assassination attempt?"

Cain sighs, and doesn't answer. "None of them are successful! So stop being a warden and let me out of this goddamn house or I swear I will kill every wolf you send to guard," I threaten him, my eyes blazing.

Cain looks just as infuriated as me as he gets out of bed and stalks towards me, his eyes dark. His hands roughly hold the sides of my face and he forces me to look up at him. "I watched you die, Ares. My own mate, and there was nothing I could do as I felt my heart ripped out of our chest once the bond broke. Do you understand that, Ares? Do you understand that you were fucking dead?"

I roll my eyes. Obviously.

"You clearly don't fucking understand that once you're dead, you're fucking dead. What about the next time someone tries to kill you, maybe tearing out your heart? Stabbing you in the heart? You can't fucking come back from that, Ares," He hisses, and his hands are slightly burning my face, signs of his Gift poking through. "Do you care so little for yourself that it doesn't matter to you if you die or not? Do you care that little for me?"

I sigh. "Cain, I'm not trying to die. Believe it or not, I actually tried to stop most of them from killing me," I say sarcastically, and his nostrils flare in anger as his jaw clenches.

"You're staying in here until all of the threats have been neutralized. That's not optional. If you have an issue, take it up with your Alpha," He laughs coldly. "Oh wait: That's me. So get your ass back in bed before I force you to submit."

My eyes glow wickedly. "I don't know Cain, that sounds like it could be fun for me," I purr, placing my hand gently on his naked chest, and stroke it gently.

His calloused hand roughly grabs my wrist. "What the hell are you doing, Ares?" He demands, but his eyes darken even more, now completely black.

I smile innocently. "Didn't you want me back in bed?"

He growls harshly, but kisses me none too gently before roughly throwing me back on to the bed.

This would be easier than I thought.

**

Cain pulls on his jeans, and I stretch out in the bed, watching him in amusement. "Still mad, Alpha?"