Chapter 57

Just when I thought that the elusive Alpha couldn't catch me any more off guard, he had to go and say that.

Katrina's mouth drops open, and I freeze. "How did you know that?" I shake off my shock enough to ask.

"That you're planning on killing an immortal being millions of years old?" Killian laughs, looking far too pleased that he managed to surprise me. "Well, that is a long story. One that begins with me losing an arm."

"Losing an arm?" Katrina asks, frowning as she looks at his arms, which are very much both there.

Killian flashes a wicked grin at the Seer. "Try not to make it so obvious when you ogle my muscles, my darling. Despite my incredibly handsome appearance, I'm very shy."

Katrina gives him a patronizing smile. "Actually, I was just thinking about how unfortunate it is for Ares that a stronger wolf isn't offering their aid. One that isn't so... scrawny."

Killian narrows his eyes, but I interrupt their bickering. "Speaking of, can we please get back on track?" I ask impatiently. Cain could come back any minute now, and I don't think he would be too thrilled to learn I was conspiring to kill his beloved Moon Goddess.

Killian sighs. "Very well. Anyways, there was a girl from Crimson Shadow who- long story short- dissolved my arm when we were very young. My father, of course, was furious, and kicked the girl out of the pack. However, he was also deeply ashamed by my physical defect, and sent me away."

"Sent you away?" I ask in confusion. What kind of father would send their son away?

He nods, a dark shadow casting over his face. "He didn't want word getting out that his son was handicapped. It would have made our pack look weak, and possibly inspire wolves to vie for the Alpha position when I became of age, knowing that I would be weakened. Of course, he knew that he only had to conceal me until I was 18, and would undergo the Alpha Transformation, and my arm would regenerate.

So, he dropped me off at camp site in Antarctica, where a group of nomadic wolves temporarily was settled. Not just any group of nomadic wolves- the oldest known pack to date. The Viatoribus."

I frown. "I've never heard of them."

"Almost nobody has," Killian acknowledges. "The only reason my father knew about them was because he ran into them during a trip and found his mate- my mother- with the other Viatoribus. He learned how to track them through my mother and dropped me off at their camp site without any explanation.

The Viatoribus could sense that I had their blood in my lineage, so they took me in without question. They are very protective of their own, since they're a dying group.

And so for the next twelve years, I traveled with them through many lands, many continents. The Viatoribus are typically nonviolent, but their warriors are exceptionally well-trained, and in many ways, more brutal than normal wolves. They trained me well enough to make me exceptionally strong and capable- even with my handicap."

"Can you skip to the part where this relates to killing Selene?" I ask impatiently, not caring to hear his stupid origin story.

Killian rolls his eyes. "I was just getting to that, princess. Anyways, I learned many things from the Viatoribus- beyond combat. They taught me their customs, their beliefs, and most relevantly- their religion.

You see, the Viatoribus never worshipped Selene. They were loyal only to the Sun God, Helios," He says, and I inhale sharply at the mention of him. "They knew of Selene's fickle ways, of her control freak nature, and they refused to worship her. When Selene trapped Helios in the dagger, the Viatoribus knew about it."