Chapter 5

I looked at the object in my hand with keen interest, watching how it caught the light if I held it at a certain angle.

"Ares, can you please stop staring at the steak knife? You're scaring my pack members," Sebastian sighed, and gave me a pointed look.

I rolled my eyes. I'll give them something to be scared about.

I set the knife down beside my plate, and I could hear a small puff of air leave Omar's mouth as he exhaled in relief. He was nervous around me since the meeting. He knew I wouldn't hesitate to kill any Red Crescent wolves.

I summoned a machete, small for average machetes, but much larger than a steak knife, and heard Omar, Samuel, and Axel gasp aloud.

I began using the giant blade to cut my steak, and Sebastian sighed in exasperation. "Dammit, Ares."

"Do not swear at the Luna," Lucas snarled at Sebastian, his canines descended at lightning speed.

"I do not take orders from Gammas," Sebastian snarled right back, standing up from his seat at the head of the table.

I grinned wickedly. You see what you've started? Cain's voice filled my head, and when I looked at his face, I could see his exasperation with my antics.

"Oh? At least I have a title," Lucas smirked, his eyes dark.

I could see Cain's mouth twitch up, resembling a small smile, that would be impossible to notice if you weren't looking for it. He didn't like Seb, and I could tell he didn't plan on stopping Lucas from antagonizing him.

"Then allow me to ask you: How does it feel knowing that an unranked wolf could kill you where you stand in seconds?" Sebastian asked, his hand twitching.

Lucas put his hand on his bearded chin, pretending to think. "It feels... like you're full of shit."

"STOP!" Axel shouted, and used his Gift to transform his arm until it was completely metal. He punched the wooden table so hard it completely split down the middle.

Cain looked at the scene with interest, but made no step to intervene. Why aren't you doing anything? I mindlinked Cain.

He shrugged, amused. What's to deal with? If Sebastian wants his ass beat by my wolves than that's fine with me.

I scoffed. Cain. Sebastian is almost an Alpha, and his Gift is exceptionally strong. It's not like Lucas can just kill him easily.

Cain gave me a weird look. You should really get to know Lucas better, I think you would be shocked.

I was about to question him further when my attention was brought back to the drama in front of us.

Sebastian suddenly uncrouched, his spine straightening. He abruptly turned around and left the room. A few moments later I could hear the Pack House front door slam shut.

Cain looked at me in disapproval, as if to say, "Look what you've done".

I sighed and got up from the table, putting the baby machete down on the table with a clanking sound that made some of the wolves jump.

"Shall I accompany the Luna, Cain?" I heard Lucas ask my mate.

Before he could respond, I answered Lucas directly via mindlink. I don't need to be babysat, Gamma. I said the last word venomously.

"This is an unsecured land for as long as Wilson is MIA and there is talk of rebellion," Lucas' voice was firm as he responded, but not disrespectful. Despite his calm tone, I didn't appreciate being questioned in front of Red Crescent wolves. My canines sank in anger as my eyes narrowed at being questioned.