Chapter 30

Blah blah blah go read the other chapters.

Song: I Lost a Friend by Finneas

"You know this clown?" Axel asks Onyx in surprise.

Onyx nods frantically, and I tighten the whip around the rogue. "He's my best friend, I- We were rogues together."

"If he harmed my mate, he will die," Cain says simply, and his eyes are completely black.

Onyx blanched. "You can't kill him! He's basically my brother, I... You can't kill him, it was just a misunderstanding I'm sure."

I laugh humorlessly. "He told me to rot in Hell, I don't think there's much to misconstrue about that."

Onyx takes a step forward, and Cain moves slightly in front of me. Lucas and Axel move to his sides.

"Please, Ares. If you attacked him, then he was just defending himself. He wouldn't just attack you for no reason," Onyx pleaded, her eyes shining.

I raise an eyebrow, tightening the whip around the rogue as he struggles. "Actually, I was just minding my business when he stabbed me. Unprovoked, might I add. Oh, sorry, both times he stabbed me, unprovoked." I emphasize.

Cain snarls, and through our mindlink, says, A rogue tried to kill you twice and you don't think that's important to tell me?

I roll my eyes, Just another Tuesday, babe.

"It was not unprovoked," The rogue growls. "You killed my mate."

Onyx gasped. So she hadn't known he had a mate. The rogue isn't done speaking. "Onyx, Ares isn't who you think she is. She's the Reaper."

Onyx turns to look at me. "Is... Is that true? You're the one who kills all of the rogues, innocent or not?"

I shrug, unbothered. I wear a freaking cloak, was it not already obvious?

"Onyx, I saw her tear the heart out of a she-wolf in the woods, a she-wolf who was only sixteen at most," Grey insists. "You saw her rip the heart out of the she-wolf that challenged you! She had submitted, and the Reaper still ruthlessly slayed her. How can you be friends with someone like that?"

Onyx gulped, looking at me. "You didn't have to kill Brenna. She had already submitted, there was no reason to take a life."

I give a small smile at her naivety. "Onyx, there's a lot you don't understand."

Onyx scoffs, and her gaze is seething. "What, because I'm not a murderous brute, I couldn't possibly understand?"

Cain growls, the sound cutting through the night. "Watch it, little wolf."

Thane steps in, breaking his silence. "I think we should all take a step back here, there's no need to escalate this. Let's calm down before making any hasty decisions."

Onyx glared at Thane. "I'm not going to let them kill Greyson. You know how important he is to me," She pleaded.

I scoff, my eyes aglow with betrayal. "You knew that he was the one who did this to me," I say, pulling open my cloak and revealing the deep cut that still hadn't healed yet. "And you didn't tell me?"

Thane looked to the side. "I wasn't sure," he muttered, and that was when Cain exploded.

"You knew who tried to assassinate my mate, twice, and you didn't say anything," Cain roared, and I could see his figure shaking. "The rogue dies." Cain shifted into his large black wolf.

"No!" Onyx gasps, and tries to take a step towards me, but Thane shoves her back, launching himself into the air, shifting into his own wolf.

Cain and Thane begin to fight, their wolves snapping their large canines at each other, but I can tell that they aren't actively trying to kill each other, at least not at this moment.

Onyx tries to rush over to where I'm restraining the rogue, but she doesn't know that her actions are considered a threat in such a situation, and Axel shifts, his wolf instinctively trying to protect his Luna.

His actions cause Leo to shift, and they two begin to fight. Lucas also shifts into his wolf, and soon, all of the wolves are fighting, all too evenly matched to cause much damage.

During the chaos of the fight, the rogue had used the distraction to untangle himself from the whip, and was now on his feet. Since he didn't turn invisible, I assumed the wolfsbane was still in effect.

"Fight me, you coward," I hiss at him as he looks like he's about to run. "Or do you only attack people when they're unable to fight back?"

He growls, and launches himself at me, but I'm ready. While he's still in midair, I throw a powerful punch at his chest, and all of his power is sent in the opposite direction away from me. The move completely shattered my hand.

No matter, I would still kill him all the same. He's back on his feet by the time I reach him, and we begin to fight, and I will admit that he doesn't have the worst technique I've ever seen.

Unfortunately for him, he didn't stand a chance against me. I kick his knee in, breaking it, and he crumples to the ground. I pounce on top of him, summoning a knife that I hold to his throat.

"Have fun in Hell," I smirk as I mimic his earlier statement. I'm about to plunge the knife into his neck when suddenly, I feel something collide into my side.

I gasp as the force threw me off of the rogue. I inspect my side, which has turned completely black. The fighting immediately ceases, and everyone turns back into their human forms.

I groan as Cain, Axel, and Lucas rush to me. It felt like every single one of my ribs had collapsed. All of the grass was brown.

Onyx looked at me in shock, her eyes shining, and around her hands, there was a black mist, reminding me of when Thane used magic.

Ah, so her Gift was black magic.

And she had just used it against me.

Cain picked me up, cradling me in his arms. Thane took a protective stance in front of Onyx, Leo and Jason at his side. All of the wolves have various bruises and scraps on them.

The rogue was still on the floor, unconscious. "Leave," Thane ordered.

"Not without the rogue," Cain growled.

Thane looked at Onyx, and back to Cain. "Not an option. You're on my territory, he's my prisoner. This isn't a fight you'll win, Cain. Don't make me call my warriors," His voice had a pleading undertone. He didn't want to have to wage a war against the Alphas of Blood Lake.

Cain looked down at me, clearly conflicted. If he tried to fight for the rogue, he risked all of our lives. If he didn't, he let the man who tried to murder me go.

"Don't do this," Thane warned. "We can all go our separate ways, unharmed." I scoff at his words. I had a freaking inch deep gash in my skin. I certainly was not unharmed.

"You're lucky we're on your territory," Cain snarled. "You're even luckier you were my family."

Thane nods once. "Jason, go get their belongings and bring them to their cars."

A strategic choice of words, ones that revealed that he no longer viewed us as non threatening to his pack, that we were no longer welcome visitors in his home.

Before we headed back to the cars, I hissed to Thane, "Blood Lake will never forget this," He looked at me sadly as I said my next words low enough for only him to hear.

"And neither will I."

END OF PART ONE