Chapter 60

Preparing for war is no easy task.

The days are grueling, with wolves fighting for hours upon hours only to listen to lectures on strategy for hours until they go to sleep and repeat it all the next day.

And it was the most fun I've had since my last war.

Cain and I train the wolves, pushing them to their breaking point and sometimes past that. When everyone else is asleep, Cain and I discuss battle strategies to go over the next day with the others, pouring over maps and old war books.

If that's not romance, I don't know what is.

Six days later, Killian arrives in Blood Lake, accompanied by his men. Cain and I greet him at the door, and I know Killian is only knocking as a formality, since he could simply teleport inside our home if he so chose.

What a hottie, Gwen mindlinks me, walking to the door with Axel.

"Luna, looking lovely as ever," He says with a wink, and Cain gives him a warning growl. "No need to get your fur panties in a twist, Alpha, you look simply ravishing as well, but it's rude to not compliment the lady first."

Cain's frame shakes in anger, but when I place my hand on his muscular arm, I can feel his anger subside through the bond. "Killian, stop trying to rile up my mate, would you?" I ask, giving him a pointed look.

Killian smirks. "As you wish, milady." He bows mockingly, and I kick his shin hard enough to bruise.

He winces. "As I said, lovely as ever."

"I won't stop her from killing you," Cain warns, and I know he means it, alliance or not.

Killian's grin only widens. "Is this how hospitality works in Blood Lake? Death threats and breaking shins?"

I smile sweetly. "It does as long as you're here."

Killian laughs, seemingly genuinely amused. "This will be a fun week. I hear Thane is joining the party?"

Hearing his name makes me stiffen, but Cain doesn't seem to notice when he answers. "Yes, he should be here any minute now."

"Three minutes, forty-two seconds," Katrina corrects, walking up from behind me. "If you want to get technical about it."

Killian's gaze goes to the Seer, but doesn't say anything as he stares at her in something resembling amusement.

"Killian, this is Katrina," Cain introduces them, not realizing that they have already met. "She's from Iron Claw."

Killian pulls his eyes away from Katrina to look at Cain. "Housing a wolf that belongs to an enemy's pack? I'd recommend tying her up. I'll do the honors," Killian offers, and Katrina glares at him.

"She's sympathetic to our cause," Cain says simply.

In truth, Cain had threatened Katrina if she tried returning to Iron Claw, to which Katrina assured him that her loyalties were with her sister, and therefore, Blood Lake. She had been feeding us bits and pieces of information about what little visions she had about Reed and his army.

"Lucky us," Killian says with mirth.

"She'll take you and your men to the conference hall where we'll have our first meeting," Cain says, and Katrina turns her glare on him.

"Regretfully, I seem to have forgotten the location of the room," Katrina says apologetically. "Foreign territories can be quite confusing to an outsider."

Based on the saccharine smile she gives Killian, it's clear she's lying, and based on his wide grin, he knows it too.

"I'll take them," Axel speaks for the first time, and Cain nods at him.