Chapter 29

*Please* read the last two Lethal chapters before reading this. Also, ONYX has been updated as well.

Although... it would serve you right if you're late for updates ;)

Song (seriously guys this is literally Ares' theme song, I always listen to it when writing violent scenes which is... often lol):

Tear You Apart by She Wants Revenge
I want to hold you close
Soft breath, beating heart
as I whisper in your ear
I want to fucking tear you apart

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I gasp, bolting upright in my bed. My (thankfully) empty bed.

Clutching the side of my head, I groaned. What the hell was that? I preferred the nightmares.

My heart was beating erratically as I shifted through my clothes, pulling out a pair of leggings and tank top. I threw on the black fur cloak that Cain had given me the day I was kidnapped by Wilson, the gift that was supposed to be for our Mating Ceremony. I always wore it for formal pack events, and I knew that Cain liked seeing me in it, as it was a symbol of his strength, as only a beast could kill something large enough to produce that much fur. In Blood Lake, fur symbolized much about the wolf.

It didn't escape my notice as I looked in the mirror that, for once, I didn't have dark circles protruding under my eyes.

Lucas must have noticed too, because when I went downstairs, he said, "Good morning, Luna. You look like you slept well."

"Shut the fuck up," I mutter, rummaging through the fridge, though eating is the last thing I want to do.

Lucas' eyes widen. "O-okay then. My apologies, Luna."

I silently make my smoothie and sit at the counter next to Lucas, who doesn't dare test the limits of my foul mood.

When I hear two sets of footfall going down the stairs, I don't look up, ignoring Thane as he bids his mate goodbye.

Onyx sat next to me, and none of us spoke until Lucas offered to fix her hair. I sat across from her on the floor as he rebraided her hair. "Attack first. After you first injure her, do it again. Don't wait for her to strike back. Go for the throat. If she's protecting heavily there, which I'm assuming she will be, go for the legs. Incapacitate her quickly, however you can. If you get injured, don't show any pain. Don't show any fear, it'll just encourage her wolf and the next attack will be more brutal and assured than the last."

Onyx nodded solemnly, showing no emotion on my face. When I hear a knock on the door, I practically trip over my own feet as I run to my mate.

"Cain," I exhale as I wrap my arms around his neck. Cain said nothing as he pressed his lips to mine, and as we kiss, I can't help feeling guilty.

Why? Why should I feel guilty? It's not like I actually cheated, for Christ's sake. And it's not like I had any kind of attraction to Thane anyways, it was just a stupid dream. No doubt from how much time I had spent in this godforsaken pack.

We waste no time as we head toward the clearing. Cain had asked to carry me, no doubt fighting his animalistic urges, but I declined, if only to scare the shit out of the Blue Moon wolves.

Onyx looked like a baby deer, frightened half to death. Confidence is half of a fight, scaring your opponents is the most powerful psychological tool someone could have. "Pick your head up. Shoulders back. No Fear," I quietly instruct her before we reach the large throng of wolves.