Chapter 23

"Come on, Nyx, is that the best you can do?" Gwen smirked, her foot on Onyx's chest.

Onyx scowled, "I was just warming up."

Gwen laughed, and helped Onyx off of the training floor mat. "We've been training for an hour. I'm pretty sure that's enough warm-up time."

"Rematch," Onyx groaned, rolling her head, stretching her neck.

Gwen grinned. "I'm almost starting to feel bad."

They got into fighting positions, and I leaned forward, stretching my back from my position on the floor. I hadn't slept all night, hadn't eaten anything all day, and overall felt terrible. I asked Gwen if she would be interested in sparring with Onyx, and she jumped at the opportunity.

They were more evenly matched than Onyx and I, as her and Gwen were much more similar in stature. Onyx would get in a few hits, but Gwen is no weak wolf, and had much more ferocity than Onyx, despite her lack of technical training.

Go for her left side, I tell Onyx. It's weaker and less guarded than her right. Her movements are chaotic; use that against her. Have a solid defense, hit her hard, go left.

Onyx gave a slight, almost unnoticeable nod, letting me know she heard my instructions, but not revealing to Gwen that I had tipped her off.

As they sank into their fighting positions, Gwen swung first, which Onyx blocked. Onyx quickly kicked to the left of her torso, hitting her in the side of the ribs.

"Onyx! Ouch!" Gwen groaned, grabbing her side. "I thought we were friends."

Onyx grinned, but threw another punch to her left. Gwen had wisened up, and blocked the hit. Gwen swung her fist at Onyx's head, but she ducked out of the way. Onyx quickly punched back, this time to Gwen's right. Gwen was more heavily guarding her left side, and didn't expect the hit to her right.

While Gwen was doubled over in pain, Onyx tackled her, sending both of them crashing to the floor. Gwen tried pushing Onyx off of her, but Onyx wrestled both of her hands to her side as straddled Gwen's waist. "Ha! Got you, you red-headed demon!" Onyx laughed victoriously.

"Get off me, jerk, you broke one of my ribs," Gwen groaned as Onyx leapt off of the ground. "You totally owe me a drink after this."

Good job, I tell Onyx as she drinks from her water bottle, Gwen scowling as she observed the bruise on her side. You saw that her right side was open, and you adjusted your hits. Good progress.

Onyx was beaming, and opened her mouth to say something in response when she was interrupted by a familiar deep, gravelly voice.

"Sitting during training? That's at least twenty laps." I turned around, unable to stifle the huge smile that spread across my face.

I ran to my mate, jumping into his arms and wrapping my legs around his waist, and my arms around his neck. Cain, I breathed his scent in deeply, burrowing my face into him.

"Oh, mate. I've missed you," he whispered, pressing a kiss on my temple.

You said you weren't coming until later, I accused him.

He laughed, a deep, rich sound. "I wanted to surprise you, I told Thane and Axel not to tell you."

Cain pulled away, putting me back on the floor with a frown. "You're too light, you've lost weight. Is Thane feeding you?"

I've just been working out a lot, I defend myself.

Cain's frown deepened, and no doubt was about to call me out on losing muscle too, when Gwen interrupted. "Cain, don't you know it's rude to comment on a girl's weight?"