Chapter 18

"All I'm saying is, I've bagged two Betas. That's a pretty impressive feat, if you ask me," Gwen smugly stated, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at Onyx, who was hunched over in laugher as we entered the training center.

Even I couldn't help the small smile that crossed my face as I rolled my eyes at the eccentric she-wolf.

"I mean, it's no Alpha," Gwen continued, winking at me. "But I'm pretty sure if my algebra is correct, two Betas equals one Alpha."

I snorted as we walked over to the dummies. Gwen took the knife out of her waistband and used it to decapitate one of them.

How much do you think one of these costs, anyways? Gwen asked me through mindlink, a smirk etched on to her face.

Rolling my eyes, I tossed her another knife that she caught with ease. Probably not enough to put Thane into financial ruin, if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

Gwen just laughed, and Onyx sat down near us on the floor. Meanwhile, Lucas was holding a punching bag while Axel pummeled the crap out of it. Leo watched in interest, and they took turns hitting it. None of them destroyed the reinforced bags. Ha, weaklings.

Gwen and I threw knives into the dummies, taking one step back with each throw to improve our distance throwing. Gwen had gotten much better at throwing knives since I had seen her train last, and I wondered how often she practiced.

I could feel the men staring at us, and my eye twitched in annoyance at being watched.

Are you going to participate, or just keep creeping? I asked Axel.

You know I'm no good at using weapons, Axel admitted, and I could feel a little bit of his embarrassment through the bond. He was one of the many Blood Lake wolves that rejected the use of weapons and preferred hand-to-hand combat or fighting in wolf form.

I heard Gwen try to rope Onyx into throwing some knives, which unsurprisingly, she declined. I told her if she did this with us, I would cancel her training tomorrow. Truth is, I already planned on giving her a break. She needed one day off every now and then in order for her muscles to develop properly anyways.

She immediately jumped off from the floor and said, "Count me in," with a laugh, making the corner of my mouth turn up into a smile.

"Knife?" Gwen held a knife out to Onyx, which she grabbed with much more confidence than the first time I offered her a knife. "Whiskey?" She offered, and produced a flask from her back pocket that I hadn't noticed sooner.

Unsurprisingly, Onyx declined, her eyes wide. I wouldn't have been surprised if she had never drank before, although I was sure that Gwen would remedy that by the time she left.

You've been holding out on me, I accused Gwen as I took a drink from the flask after she did.

You should know me well enough to know I always have alcohol on hand, Gwen laughed.

Even Axel drank some, which surprised me because he rarely drank with us. I don't think I had ever seen him drunk before either. He always called us alcoholics, a title Gwen wore with pride.

Gwen threw the empty container over her shoulder, which, no doubt intentionally, would have hit Leo in the face if he hadn't caught it. He scowled, but the winkle in his eye showed that he was in no way angry.

"Okay so stand here," Gwen instructed Onyx, and grabbed her by her scrawny arm. "Left foot in front. Grip the blade like so. Okay good! Now put the blade slightly over your shoulder, and when you throw it, make sure to flick your wrist slightly or the blade won't embed in the dummy. For clarification, I mean the target dummy, not the Beta dummy on your left," She clarified, a slight smirk gracing her face.