Chapter 45

My blood runs ice cold at his words, and the only thing I'm able to choke out is a brilliant: "Um, what?" I had forgotten that Sebastian wasn't supposed to know about the Transformation, which was why I didn't think twice about why he asked to call.

"Don't play dumb, Ares!" Sebastian yells, and I try to slow my breathing, and think about the best way to handle this. The truth is, I had barely even thought about the Red Crescent situation, too wrapped up in the Thane drama, Blood Lake wolves being murdered, and the Mating Gathering.

Sebastian was pissed that I killed Wilson and hadn't told him, and rightly so. He had been waiting to become the Alpha for a long time.

"You need to calm down," I say, my tone unwavering. "We can discuss this in person."

"Fuck that! We're talking about it now. How could you not tell me that you killed Wilson and became the Alpha? How long have you been the Alpha of Red Crescent?" He's still yelling, infuriated by my betrayal.

"This is not a conversation suitable for over the phone," I calmly state. "Cain and I will come down in a few days and we can discuss what the next steps will be."

Sebastian's voice is cold as he asks, "What do you mean discuss the next steps? The next step is to pass the position down to me. We have already agreed on that, there's nothing left to discuss."

"And that will happen, Seb. I have no desire to remain Alpha of Red Crescent," I assure him, and it's all true. "The issue is the timing. I didn't kill Wilson long ago. Cain says it could be dangerous for me to do another transference in such close succession."

Sebastian considers what I'm telling him. "You need to do the transference soon, Ares," He sighs, and I'm relieved that he's considerably calmer. This situation easily could have escalated into something much more dangerous. "Red Crescent is a disaster right now, you know this. They need an Alpha or we will collapse."

"I know," I say quietly. "But Sebastian- you don't understand how debilitating the transference is. Right now isn't a good time for it to take place. It could destroy me."

And it could. I had been reading about voluntary Alpha transfers, and all of the information was brutal. If the person passing the title to someone else isn't in full health, the transference could easily turn deadly, or severely crippling. Despite the fact that the original Alpha retains their strength, the breaking of the Alpha bond itself brutal, just like the formation of it had been for me.

Cain knew all of this, of course, which was why he was resistant to me transferring the title to Sebastian so soon after I already went through it once.

"Are you pregnant?" Seb suddenly asks, surprising me.

"Um, no," I answer after the shock of the random question wears off. "Why would you ask that?"

Seb pauses. "I thought that may be why you were holding off the transference."

I swallow, holding back a river of emotions I refuse to confront or even acknowledge. "Cain wanted to return to Red Crescent soon anyways. We'll come down in a few days and we can talk about it then, alright? Until then, don't tell any Red Crescent wolves about this."

I don't trust any of them besides Seb. With all of the minor rebellions in Red Crescent, knowledge that I'm the Alpha would certainly incite a riot, and it would result in enough bloodshed to where there may not be enough wolves left for a pack.

He sighs. "Fine. But we are doing the transference, and soon."

I don't like the edge in his voice. "And if I refuse?" I snarl. I don't like his insubordination either, and my wolf doesn't appreciate the disrespect.