Chapter 17

For the remainder of the walk back to the Pack House, Thane told me stories about him and Cain growing up. I couldn't help laughing as he told me about all of the times they would use their powers against each other, even at the young age of 7 years. I had no doubt that their parents had their hands full with two tiny Alphas terrorizing each other.

I was still laughing as we walked in the house and saw Onyx, Axel, and the Blue Moon Gamma eating lunch.

"Looks like you two had fun," Axel said with his mouth full of sandwich. "Kill anything good?"

Thane shrugged. "A couple of rogues here and there. Nothing too terribly interesting."

Onyx exhaled slightly, her face twisted. "I'm going to go take a shower," She mumbled and left without looking at Thane or I.

"What the hell was that about?" Thane asked, perplexed, and I shrugged.

The Beta coughed. "Ahm. Your clothes, Alpha."

Thane looked down at his blood soaked shirt. He was vicious when ripping apart his victims, and I had no doubt there was at least 5 different wolves' blood on him. Good think Onyx's sense of smell probably wasn't developed enough to differentiate.

"Oh, great," Thane muttered. "I better go do damage control." He turned and went after Onyx.

When he left, Axel said, "How much do you want to bet that Onyx won't be able to stomach killing the shewolf?"

I considered. Twenty bucks says she will but will cry after it.

Axel laughed, "You're so on."

"Brutes," The Beta muttered quietly and rolled his eyes before popping a chip in his mouth, making my mouth quirk to the side. I forgot that not all packs were as brutal as Blood Lake, where death was casual and ordinary.

"You may want to go shower too, Luna," Axel said, no doubt able to smell the blood on me, even though my black clothing likely didn't show it. "You have visitors coming soon."

I narrowed my eyes. Axel, what did you do? I questioned, suspicious that he told Cain about what happened and he was already storming over.

"Relax, it's not Cain," He rolled his eyes at my trepidation. "I arranged for Gwen to come for the rest of the week?"

Although I was happy to know she was coming, I still pressed, why?

Axel's eyes shifted. "I dunno, I thought it would be good to have some girl bonding for you and Onyx."

I snorted. And what's the real reason?

Axel sighed before mindlinking me so the Beta couldn't hear. It doesn't feel right to only have me as your guard here. I don't trust Blue Moon, not after last night's incident, not to mention your little altercation with the shewolf. I casually suggested to Cain that maybe he should consider letting Lucas stay to help us with training, and Gwen wanted to come too.

Rolling my eyes, I stole the sandwich out of his hand and took a bite. You are so overprotective, I admonished him but was grateful to have Gwen come. She would definitely bring Onyx out of her shell, something that I was no good at.

As if reading my thoughts, Axel added: "She's better at people with you are. You know that Onyx could benefit from a little bit of controlled chaos."

"Define chaos," The Beta narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

I chuckled lowly but Axel and I didn't answer him. He would see for himself soon enough.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••