five - carter

WHOOPS ALMOST FORGOT TO POST BECAUSE OF STRANGER THINGS DAY.

London

I sat in my assigned seat next to Sam. I was asked to do a speech. I think Sharon is also doing one.

I fiddled with my black dress.

Black is depressing and I know Peggy wouldn't want that but it's just what people wear.

I looked to my right to see a bunch of men, including my Dad carry her casket.

His eyes were red, mine was too...

I never expected this to come so soon.

They set the casket down and Dad took his seat next to me.

I leaned my head on his shoulder. Most kids hate giving their parents any affection but I really need it. I don't care.

Sharon walked up, I nudged Dad's arm and he glanced up.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD . . . but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy."

Wait, She's related to Peggy? Technically I'm still legally related to Peggy so she's my cousin?

Damn I have a family member aside from my own Father.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related..."

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move . . . it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say " No, you move."

Sharon looked at me, meaning it's my turn. Oh god I hate public speaking.

"Aunt Peggy had a daughter, Hazel. I'm sure most of us know who she is." She motioned for me to come up.

My face was so red, red as a tomato.

Sharon stepped down and I stood up, walked over to the podium.

Some man introduced me, "Hazel Carter." He shook my hand.

I looked down at my blank paper, it was supposed to have my speech on it but I couldn't bring myself to put my feeling on paper.

"It's actually Rogers." I nervously laughed.

"Uh...Peggy was my mother for my whole childhood...she protected me, taught me how to defend myself..."

"You couldn't hide anything from her, I tried many times."

I chewed the inside of my cheek. "She helped me to feel things again. I started to feel happy."

"She was like Sharon said, a founder of shield...a badass."

"When I woke up I wanted nothing but to turn back the clock and be in her safe arms again but that's not how life works."

I wiped a tear rolling down my cheek. "It's moving."

"And sometimes it's upsetting and painful but the biggest thing she taught me is...don't give up, it's cliché but...if you give up then where what would you do then?"

I looked Dad in the eye, he had a sad yet proud look on his face.

"Don't ever give up."

I picked up my blank piece of paper and walked off to the side doors.