fifteen - like my father

1953, Age 8. Hazel Carter's POV

I stepped into the living room, Peggy was deep in her papers that littered the dining room table.

I wanted to ask her if I could go out and play with Barry... the thing is she always says no but I don't ever give up. I'm tired of my room and drawing.

"Hey Peggy." I stood awkwardly in front of the table. I know she heard me walk up. I can never sneak, it's like she has superpowers sometimes.

She kept her eyes on her paper and started to write something. "Yes Hazel?" She answered.

I put my hands on the chair and tapped on it while  swaying from side to side. "So can I go outside? Barry said he was playing with the other kids around the street."

She picked up the papers and stacked them together. "No, it's too dangerous." She shot my question down.

My body boiled with frustration. I hate being trapped, it's my daily life. I never go anywhere other then school and here. It's like I'm a bloody Royal or something. "I'm tired of this house, I'm so bored and other children get to go out!"

She finally looked up at me. "Hazel we've gone over this many times. You're not like the other children, you're too special."

"No one bloody tells me why!" My voice started to raise. "I know I'm beyond a level of strength and speed then other kids but I can control myself!"

"You know you're so much like your-" She spoke then stopped, a painful expression crossed her face.

"Like who?" I brought my hands up then slapped them against my hips.

"Never mind, you know better then to raise your voice... go to your room." She ordered.

I kicked the chair in front of me and turned to walk to my room. I feel trapped and over protected.

I went into my room and locked my door. I wanted to punch something but I pushed my anger down and walked over to my window.

The kids outside were playing and laughing. When I get older I'm not going to let anyone trap me; Never ever.

                                •   •   •

Present Day

We looked by the small mostly unknown entrance to the mound where four men stood guarding. "Should we knock them out and just steal their clothes?" I whispered.

We were hidden to the side behind huge bushes and trees.

Nakia shrugged. "That's actually a smart plan, that way we can roam freely inside."

I could hear T'Challa's voice on the coms. "N'Jadaka!" He shouted. "I never yielded, and as you can see, I am not dead!"

I smirked a bit listening but my focus on T'Challa's badassness was cut off when Nakia started pulling me towards the guards. Oh it's me? I'm doing the work? Damn, always the super solider huh.