Chapter 3: Blue eyes

"I missed the first day of school", I shouted," I just can't believe it."

Mom switched on the TV without even considering my existence. Marie sat on the couch next to her, silently. The news of the prison van was all over the news channels. The rescue teams have reached the location. There have been several attempts to take out the van from the river, but all of them were unsuccessful.

I sat on the couch, between mom and Marie. A list of the pictures of unfortunate victims was released. I saw each face and name clearly. There were supposed to be 4 prisoners and two police officers in that van. But none of them had blue eyes like that guy.

I nudged Marie.

"Hey, you remember the guy we saw in the morning...."

"Which guy?" Mom heard me.

Before, any of us could reply, I heard loud cry of the baby.

Mom got up," Aaron must have woken up."

 I was proud of Aaron for waking up at this moment, I had skipped the part of story where I heard the flute and the saw the blue eyed guy, in front of mom and police officers both.

Strangely, Marie had not mentioned the guy too.

When mom left, Marie spoke," What Guy?"

"The one who jumped out of the van..."

She raised her eyebrows.

"The blue eyed one... who said sorry to me..."

She shook her head, "There was no guy,Lily."

"Are you kidding me? You told me to start the car when you saw him running towards us."

"No, Lily! I told you to drive away from the location of the accident. But you didn't. So, we had to answer the police questions for a couple of hours."

I clenched my fists in disbelief, my throat was dry and I felt my breath stuck in my chest.

"I can't believe it..."

"What you can't believe?"

"I'm sure what I saw. It's okay, we won't get in trouble. I won't tell anyone about what we saw. Just tell me, you saw that man with white shirt and black stripes on, rushing towards my car. He had covered his face. He said sorry to me and ran into the forest."

She pulled a serious face, and nodded.

"You remember?" I asked anxiously.

And Marie burst into laughter.

"Good story, Lily."

I stood up, and went upstairs to my room. I was happy that Marie didn't follow me. She was convinced that I was making it up. Something was not right about whatever that was happening to me. I had seen that guy with my own eyes. I do know, eyes could lie but not this much.

I lied down on my bed, on my stomach. My phone started blinking like crazy. It was a reminder for the submission of my English Assignment.

"Oh no!"

I jumped out of my bed, and carried my school bag to the next room. Aaron's little room was adjacent to Mom's, exact in front of mine.

"Mom,I need to go to school."

She was changing Aaron's diaper and he was clapping happily with his little hands.

"Lily, are you out of your mind? Wait for a day; you can go to school tomorrow."

I touched Aaron's hands with my fingers, and he happily grabbed my index finger.

"I have to submit my English assignment today, I am already very late. It was due before holidays."