Chapter 8: Red rose

I held the two dresses against my chest, and tried to decide what to wear for the 30th time now. I had about two hours more to get ready for the pathetic party thrown by Sabrina and Chase at his place. For another hour, I had to baby sit Aaron till mom and David return back from the movie.

Chase had helped me yesterday night in following Adrian though he knew, we had been following the wrong car. But he went with me, just because I wanted to. So, I had to attend this party just for him even if I hate doing it. And I could have stayed home, but I didn't want to give Sabrina the satisfaction of the thought of making me jealous.

I turned around to face Aaron, and held the two dresses one by one against me again.

"Which looks best on me?"

Aaron clapped his hands on both dresses. I picked him up from the bed and kissed his cheeks.

"You think your sister is too pretty, don't you my little angel?"

My phone rang loudly.

"Hey Marie."

"Lily,... Nathan didn't want me back because he loves me. He was planning to humiliate us infront of his friends..."

I could hear her sobs in her voice.

"Marie, forget about him. I told you not to trust him again."

"I should have listened to you... Please don't go to that party.... They are planning something.."

"Okay, I won't. Just stop crying. I'll come to meet you in a while"

Marie's parents came back few days ago, and she was back to her home now.

I hung up the phone. I was about to place my phone on the table when it vibrated again.It was Chase this time.

"I would love to see you at the party. But if you didn't make it, I'll understand."

I had to go to this party for Chase. Even though Marie had stopped me, but I had to do this for my bestfriend.

The doorbell rang, and I placed Aaron back in the middle of the bed. Aaron rolled on his back, held his little foot and tried to put it in his mouth.

"Stay here, I'll get the door. Mom and David must have returned early."

I rushed towards the door, as leaving Aaron alone like this upstairs wasn't a very intelligent idea. I still remember the day; I lost my twin baby brothers. They caught some fatal illness that wouldn't go away, no matter what the doctors did. Because of that, I was too cautions in everything related to my Aaron.

The doorbell rang again.

"I'm almost there." I said aloud.

When I opened the door, there was no one there. The depressing last glances of sunset were the only thing, I saw outside.

I was about to close the door, when I heard my name.

He was standing there, leaning at the side of my door.

"What are you doing here, Adrian?"

I held the door handle tightly, and placed my other hand against the wall. I secured myself in a position to shut the door, if he made any move. There was something wrong with Adrian, but I had no proof to justify my suspicions.

He held a book in front of my face.

"You left this on the cafeteria table in the morning."

I almost snatched the book from his hand, and muttered.

"Thank you but I'm sure that I had placed it in my bag before I left."

"You believe your eyes too much, don't you?" He smirked.

"How do you know where I live? I saw you here last night too."

He smiled, and his smoky blue eyes flashed in the dim light of my garden lamps.

"Why are you so scared of me, Lily?"

I shook my head, "I don't even know you...."

"You do know me, Lily. Don't you? Haven't we met before?" He asked anxiously.

"No, I have no idea what you are talking about."

I knew, he was right. I had seen him twice before school. But why was he so interested in me after all?

He placed his hand on the door, and took a step towards me. I tried to close the door but he was too strong. He stared in my eyes, and I saw a familiar coldness.

He smiled,"Don't play games with me, baby."

He removed his hand from the door. I pushed him back and closed it.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang again and again.

"Go away." I said.

I heard the doorbell again.

"Lily?"

It was mom's voice, I quickly opened the door.

"I thought...."

I broke off in the middle of the sentence.

David prompted," Yeah?"

"Nothing. Aaron's upstairs in my room."

I pointed towards the stairs.

Mom rushed up the stairs, "You left him all alone in your room? "

I followed her upstairs.

Aaron was fast asleep on the same place where I left him. Mom picked him up, and went out of my room.

I stared back at the two dresses on the bed, on the top of one of them, was a red rose. I was sure that it wasn't there when I left the room.

"Adrian." I sighed.

But it was impossible for anyone to climb my window, put the rose there and then go back downstairs.

May be, he climbed up when I was busy talking to mom and David downstairs soon after he left.

I decided to have a direct conversation with Adrian first thing in the morning. I didn't care if he was the same person or not, who I saw in that Prisoner van.

I was being scared of his weirdness now I just wanted him to leave me alone.

I placed the rose on the table, and picked up the Royal blue laced dress. At least, the rose made me choose between the two dresses easily.