Chapter 11: The butterfly

"I crave a bond so strong, that even death can't pull us apart."

When I woke up, I had purple flowered walls in my view instead of white walls of hospital. It was a stimulus strong enough for me to literally jump out of bed, and welcome myself back home. This place never felt home as much as it felt now. The doctors fixed me so well, that I felt strong enough to resume my daily activities. I picked green knitted sweater from the chair and wore it over my white tank top.

I heard mom's voice downstairs trying to make baby Aaron say that he loved his mummy. I went downstairs, and mom hugged me so tight.

"Welcome home, sweetheart."

"You brought me back home in sedated state?" I asked.

"We requested them to let you come home. Doctors weren't letting us but then David talked to them and they agreed."

Mom walked towards the table drawer, and took out a small box.

"You left this in hospital."

I took the box from her, and sat on the couch next to Aaron. I almost forgot about this present that Adrian brought for me.

Mom hesitated for a minute but then spoke.

"What's wrong with your music teacher?"

I stammered," S-Sorry?"

She picked Aaron and placed him in her lap.

"I mean, is there something going on that I should know about?"

I shook my head," He isn't my teacher anymore. Besides, when I first met Adrian, I thought of him as a fellow student...."

"I was wondering why your school would appoint someone as handsome as your music teacher." Mom smiled meaningfully.

I looked away, and spoke.

"There's nothing going on, okay?"

"Okay, if you say so, Lil."

She quickly added, "At least open the present. I want to see what he left you."

I pulled the strings of the red ribbon, untying them slowly. I picked the lid of the box.

Inside the box was a satin wrapped sterling silver butterfly pendant. The intricate pattern of the wings was so beautiful. At the end of the antennae on both sides were gemstones.

I picked the pendant up to show it to mom.

"Beautiful! There's something else there in the box." Mom said.

I placed the pendant in my lap, and picked up the box again. Under the red satin was a piece of folded paper.

"To,

The Melody of my life.

And

Light of my dreams,

Gabriella"

"Gabriella?" I whispered. I had heard that name before. Why had Adrian called me Gabriella that day? What if he had mistaken me for someone else?

Mom was eyeing me anxiously. She asked," What's written there?"

I folded the paper, and placed it in my pocket.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" She raised her eyebrow.