chapter 6: The dark nights

It was the queer sadness of the setting sun that made me get out of the house. I didn't want to be alone in the house. I wanted to share my grief with the sun.
Mom was out again with David, taking Aaron with them. I couldn't blame her for doing any of this. She was enjoying her new life, with her new husband. I adjusted my checkered scarf around my neck. And I kept walking down the street.

The scent of Coffee and vanilla filled my nostrils, as I entered the Café' 7. I walked in, and closed the door behind me, locking the coldness of the evening outside. It was warmer and a lot more cheerful environment inside. I saw a familiar face at the mahogany counter, busy with the coffee machine.

I walked towards the counter.

"Hello Emily."

The brown haired little girl looked up, and smiled.

"Hey there. How're you, Lily?"

Emily lived in my neighborhood. She was a single mother, just a few years elder than me. But she had helped me a lot to get over my mother's new wedding as well as my breakup with Chase. I had talked to her about my family matters, when I had no one else to talk to.

Though I had Marie, but still I sometimes preferred talking to Emily instead.

"I'm good."

"You seem upset? Everything's alright?" She asked handing me my coffee.

"Just school and stuff."

I placed my hands in my pocket to take out the money.

"Make it two, and here's the money."

I looked around, it was Chase. Emily looked at me meaningfully.

"No, no need, Chase."

He placed the money at the counter, and took the other coffee cup from Emily.

"I need to talk to you, Lily."

He held my arm softly. I looked around; there were too many people in the café right now.

"Chase, please. I don't want to create a scene here.I don't want to talk about anything."

"Please. Just give me a minute,Lily."

I looked at him, and he motioned me to sit down.

I dragged the chair and sat at the corner table. He happily joined me.

"How did you know that I'll be here?" I asked, taking a sip of the coffee.

"I know, you always come here when you feel sad."

"I'm not sad, Chase."

"You are. I want to apologize on Sabrina's behalf. She wanted to host the party, so I couldn't stop her. She wanted to make you jealous, but I told her, we were over...."

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT SABRINA OR YOU."

I picked up my coffee cup, and stood up.

"Lily, I miss you. You can come back to me, if you want." He held my hand and squeezed it gently. "I'm still the same Chase. Nothing has changed."

"You know what Chase?"

"What?"

"You can go to hell."

I started walking towards the door. My mind was like boiled water in a closed container. I couldn't take another sip of the coffee, so I placed it near the counter. The door of the café opened, and Adrian walked in. He was wearing a brown long coat, and a large hat.

The hat confirmed me that he was the same man I saw at the end of the 'Rafner Street'. I hid behind the side curtains, watching him. He seemed in hurry. He quickly ordered the coffee, and gave Emily the money. He didn't even wait to take the change back.