Chapter 21: The fire

The best thing about pain is that it dampens away with time. It may take days, months or even years but every passing moment reduces the intensity of pain. Every passing minute takes us closer to the ultimate process of healing.

When I woke up today, I realized that Marie's death hurt a little less than it did yesterday. And I knew,I started the journey towards being healed. May be, my mind was a little too occupied by what Gabriella told me yesterday. I couldn't sleep last night. I kept evaluating my feelings for Adrian. I had no idea whether I was in love with a right person or not. May be, I accepted when he offered me his love, only because I was heart broken. I needed somebody to rely on. After breaking up with Chase, I felt so alone that I accepted Adrian's attention without even thinking about any consequences. May be, I wanted to be that special girl that somebody spent centuries searching for. I accepted the love that was meant for Gabriella. Whatever the reason was, I knew one thing that for me, Adrian's existence lied somewhere between love and mere attraction.

I had to get out of my room. I was already depressed and the silence of my locked room was sucking my soul out.I decided to go back to school. I changed into a baby blue Tshirt and white skirt quickly. It took me extra 10 minutes to cover the eye-bags under my eyes with a concealer. The light pink blusher brought back the tinge of life in my pale cheeks. I was good to go in no time.

I went downstairs and had my regular breakfast.David was already gone and Mom was busy with Aaron when I left for school. My mind was recalling the last night's scene. I had no idea where Adrian was and what happened at the police station. I tried to contact him several times, but I couldn't. He told me that my pendant would connect us together and he would know when I would need him. I needed him last night to answer my questions. I wanted to know what exactly was going on.

I parked my car at my favorite spot and got out of my car. Chase's Audi was parked near-by. He got out of the car and looked at me for a minute. But instead of talking to me, he walked past me.

"Chase?" I said.

He didn't stop even after hearing his name. But he slowed down.

"Chase, listen to me."

I held his arm and pulled him back towards me.

"Let go of me, Lily."

"Why are you ignoring me?"

"Seriously, Lily? You're asking me this question?" He rolled his eyes.

"I know, you are angry at me for supporting Adrian that night. But I didn't want him to hurt you. I had already lost Marie and I can't lose you. I was scared."

"We have to stop him. Adrian's dangerous. I'm scared for you, not for my ownself. He's a Grim Reaper which means he's immortal. He would never let you live in this world, Lily. He would take you with him, to his world... He would kill you too."

Chase was very right. Adrian would do anything to keep me near him. That wouldn't be possible if I stayed here, in this mortal world. But then I recalled that he wasn't Adrian Jonas Wagon. If he was James Wilson, then I doubted his intentions. I had no idea what a psychopath would do in this situation. Besides, if he was a ghost, probably an evil spirit which would make the situation worse.

"Chase, there's something I found out about Adrian...." I rubbed my forehead.

"What?" He asked quickly.

"Remember the day, you handed me few newspaper cuttings in the parking area that morning?"

"I had already told you, it wasn't me. I don't know anything about those newspaper cuts or any psychopath you were talking about earlier that day..."