Chapter 15: His world

"Justice? There's no Justice in this world, Mrs. Mayfield."

The voice made me freeze with my hands still on the door bell. I could hear them talking inside. It was the least expected thing that could have happened today. It was a lot weirder than discovering about James Wilson.

The door burst open and the unexpected visitor gave me such a warm smile but it still failed to revive my frozen heart. He stretched his arms to give me a half-arm hug, and I backed off seeing mom standing behind him.

"What's going on here?"

I moved my eyes from mom to Adrian and then back to him.

She smiled," You two talk; I'll be in the kitchen preparing lunch."

I looked at Adrian and he spoke," I just came to say Hi to your parents."

"Seriously Adrian?" I narrowed my eyes.

He closed the door behind me, and followed me to the living room.

"Everything's under control. I have told them about us." He announced happily.

"What have you told them?" I asked.

Mom brought the jingling tea-cups in the room before Adrian could reply.

"Adrian told me about that Music competition you're going to. I never knew that you could play so well."

"What?" I gaped.

Adrian took a deep sip of the tea and spoke, "I have discussed all the details with your mother. We would be leaving for Ireland in the morning along with other students."

I bit my lip in disbelief.

There was a loud cry from the other room, and mom placed her teacup on the table and went to pick Aaron from his crib.

"ADRIAN! What the hell are you doing?"

He smiled his enchanting smile," You and me, baby! We're going on a little trip."

"To where?"

"I had seen your world, now it's time for you to see mine too." He held my hand in his, and planted a light kiss.

His world meant the world of the dead. And no one living was allowed there. I felt a deep chill in my spine but I controlled my emotions to such a level that I managed to fake a smile.

"Don't worry, Lily. I'll bring you back unharmed."

I nodded lightly. The best idea I thought at this moment was to change the deadly topic.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything, my love."

I took out the black diary from my bag and placed it on the couch between us. Adrian's eyes widened for a moment but then he nodded, like he found an answer in his head.

"I keep a record of all the people I have killed so far in this decade."

I swallowed," Why have you written Chase's name there?"

"Have I?" He asked me coldly.

I nodded," Yes, I have seen that."

I opened the diary for him, but there was nothing written on the last page. He snatched the diary from my hand.

"I am not going to harm anyone until it becomes necessary."

"I don't understand..." I started expressing my buried fear but he interrupted.

"So, you're scared. Why don't we talk about your fears? I know, you're scared and worried. Sometimes, it feels impossible and terrifying to believe what's happening in your life."