Chapter 14: The predator

I had almost forgotten the last time when I felt normal. My life was nothing less than an old rusty roller coaster ride now. Every morning, I used to wake up to a new problem and Every night, I felt a mental pressure on my head ready to suck out the last traces of happiness left in me.

I was falling deeper in love with Adrian but there was something about this love that made me scared. Adrian was a 350 years old Grim Reaper, who was already married to an ancient woman Gabriella. If this wasn't horrifying, I don't think anything else would.

"My baby's lost in deep thoughts!" I heard a familiar voice from the passenger seat of my car. I jumped in shock and the steering wheel slipped from my hands. I quickly gained control of the car.

"Don't do that ever! Adrian, you scared the hell out of me."

My heart beat was raised to such a high rate, that I could feel my heart almost popping out of my chest through my rib cage.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He spoke in his velvet voice.

"Anyways, I'm happy that you came to see me." I replied. "I have to tell you something."

He smiled," That's the advantage of being the Grim Reaper. I can pop anywhere I want, any time I wish to."

He looked at me meaningfully, but I wasn't amused. So, he became serious at once.

"Are you upset about something, Lil?"

"I don't know. I had a weird dream yesterday night after you went."

He narrowed his eyes, "What kind of dream?"

"I saw Gabriella Leonard. She was just like me, but her hair were too long. She had a beautiful flowered braid and big brown eyes..."

"She used to braid her hair." Adrian bit his lip.

"But don't you think it's weird. You haven't told me how she used to be, but I do know. Does that mean I actually saw her?"

I told him what happened between us except the deal with the witch. Adrian listened to me silently, and then shook his head.

"You are just remembering things from your old life. And I'm happy that everything's coming back."

"No... That's not me. I am not Gabriella."

I shifted my eyes from the straight road to Adrian's smoky eyes.

He blinked, "What do you mean?"

"She made a deal with the Witch who granted her immortality, in return for your baby. The very same Witch who made you Grim reaper, Adrian... Don't you get it?"

"My baby?" He repeated.

"Yes, she was pregnant."

He shook his head in disbelief.

"I don't understand... This isn't possible...."

"I am no Gabriella, Adrian. I just look like her."

I was feeling a lump in my throat. I knew, Adrian loved only Gabriella nobody else. He could never forget his first love, not even for me.

I looked at him; there were tears in his eyes.

"I don't believe you.How could that be?"

He vanished away, without even hearing anything. I was almost at the gate of my Aiden's High now.

My mind was already too occupied that I didn't even think that I was returning back to school after 20 days. I parked my car at my favorite spot.

There was a sharp knock at my window as soon as I bent down to pick my bag from the back seat.