Chapter16: You can't die!

"You don't know a thing!" He repeated his sentence. He looked at me straight in my eyes and crinkled his brows slightly like he was perturbed by my behavior.

"Help him, please." I pressed my hands on Chase's abdomen to stop the massive bleeding. I could feel his warm blood trickling through my fingers. He was holding my hand tightly, and I could feel his fingers losing warmth. His grip was loosening.

I looked at Adrian, and almost pleaded. "Help him, Adrian!"

He stood staring at me coldly.

"I'm sorry, baby. I can't help you."

"What do you mean? He's dying..."

He sighed," That's why I'm here."

His reply made me speechless for a moment. I forgot that he was the Grim Reaper. He wasn't here because I called him. He was here because he was supposed to be here. I tried to lift Chase off the ground into my lap.

"I'll take you to the hospital. Don't worry. Can you hear me, Chase?" I hugged him tightly.

He closed his eyes, and his arm fell lifeless on the ground.

"CHASE!" I almost screamed.

Adrian spoke," I have to take his soul. He's gone."

Adrian took out his flute and started playing that deadly tune. I placed Chase's body on the blanket of fallen leaves, and rushed towards Adrian. I tried to snatch his flute, but he backed off. I punched his chest as hard as I could with my tiny fists. Adrian's flute slipped from his fingers and fell on the ground. I picked it up.

"I won't let you take Chase away."

"How can you stand against me for him?" He smiled coldly.

A strange chill ran through my body, and for the first time, it felt like I never knew Adrian.

"He's my best friend. I can't let anything happen to him.... Please, help me... Adrian!"

I placed my hands on his collars and begged him to help me.

He held my face in his hands and rubbed away my tears.

"Even how much I wish to help, I can't. I have to take a soul from here. Besides, Chase is already gone."

"You want a soul?" I repeated.

He nodded," Baby, I can't help it."

I backed off from Adrian and sat beside Chase again. I lifted the sharp tree branch from the ground and stabbed myself. The sharp edges of the tree branch pierced through me with a little effort and went straight through the soft tissues. A reddish blush started spreading across my white shirt. A deep agonizing pain started from my abdomen and radiated to every single part of my body. I bit my lip to suppress my scream.

Adrian rushed towards me horrified.

"What have you done?" He caught me before I fell on the ground.

"You... You wanted a soul. Take mine!" I managed to utter.

Adrian held me in his arms. I was feeling light-headed by now.

"No, I can't! I can't let you die."

I closed my eyes, and my surroundings dissolved in darkness.

***********************************************************************

Somebody was tapping my cheeks gently with index and the middle finger, when I managed to lift my heavy eyelids.

"Lily?"