- PART 18 -

THEO

THEO

~

EVERYONE WAS ABUZZ WITH excitement as the week of the next Task approached. Cedric and I had figured out a few next after the Yule Ball that we would have to go underwater. For this Task, only one would go, but it was selected at random, so we couldn't know for sure I wouldn't have to swim.

My mother was a firm believer that swimsuits were whorish and meant for women of a lower class than her, and in turn me. I never learned how to swim, nor did I ever own a swimsuit. The closest thing to swimming I had ever done before school was when the basement of our New Orleans house flooded and I was forced to wade in murky water for belongings until my mother remembered her wand.

For years, I had hidden my lack of ability when it came to swimming— after all, one shove and I would be drowning in the lake. But now, it seemed as though I had no choice but to admit defeat.

Of course, that didn't mean I'd tell Cedric.

__

Lunch was spent carefully planning my next move. I sat beside Cassius, but both of us seemed to be out of sorts, oblivious to the other's mood. I looked across the room at the table of red every few minutes, keeping my eyes trained on the trio of Fourth Years whispering amongst each other. George was next to his youngest brother, poking at his food. A few times, my stare drifted to him, but I forced myself to look away each time.

Now wasn't the time to think about him, about that. The dress was shoved in the back of my closet, the make-up scrubbed from my face— every single reminder from that awful night had been hidden away or tossed out. Right now, I had to focus on the Task.

Halfway through lunch, Cassius abruptly stood, leaving the table and storming out of the room. I stared after him, wondering if I should follow when I spotted a brown-haired girl hurrying after him, grabbing the sleeve of his robe just as he left the room. I frowned, but didn't make any effort to move.

An owl suddenly swooped into the hall, dropping a letter on my plate before leaving just as fast as it had come. Looking away from the door, I let out a small huh as I saw who had written me.

Lily Potter

I pondered whether or not I should open the letter, but it appeared as though I didn't have a choice. My target was leaving the Great Hall.

Shoving the letter into my pocket, I hurried outside, abandoning my table and my food.

I cornered Potter's friend— Granger —in the corridor. She was around my size and height, not to mention a friend of Potter and a muggle. While many Pure-Blooded girls were raised with the same . . . lack of training when it came to water-play, nearly all of the muggle girls had some form of aquatic wear in their trunk. And, knowing how modest Granger was, I predicted I wouldn't be stuck in a couple of scraps of fabric called clothing.