- PART 21 -

THEO

THEO

~

THE SECOND TASK WAS something I was prepared for. I was ready— more than ready —to jump into the Black Lake and rescue some treasure while my friend cheered me on.

The day was cold when we got outside, though admittedly nice for winter in the UK. Second semester had started weeks ago and I had spent most nights attempting to study and make sure that Cedric was prepared. It was like I had become some other person— like I had been possessed.

Not even the extra homework Moody dumped on me or the looks all of the Weasley's sent me could keep me from getting ready.

Now that it was here, though, I couldn't stop thinking about anything but the Task and my part in it. Like, if George was here, or the Potter's, or Sirius. I sat in a tent before the Task started by myself, as Cedric off with Cho before the draw began.

A flash of red hair made me hopeful for some damned reason, but I reigned in my disappointment when I realized it was only Ginny— George's younger sister —who had appeared.

I schooled my features, biting the inside of my cheek as she stormed towards me. Two years younger than me, Ginny still looked at me like I was a child. I had been on the receiving end of her glare for days now, yet I still couldn't figure out why she was here— in my tent —and not with her brother's planning my demise.

"You're a real idiot, you know?" She proclaimed, shaking her head.

I shrugged, not knowing what she expected me to say. "I never said I wasn't."

"You really think bad of everything— even yourself." She scoffed. "But, for some stupid reason, my brother likes you. So, stop being a wimp and get your head in the game, Marx."

"I'm not thinking about him— "

"Yes, you are." She smirked at me, pushing hair from her face. "It's obvious. But, George doesn't want you dead— somehow. So, start thinking about the Task and don't die."

Before I had a chance to retort, she was gone from the tent, red hair whipping around in the wind. I glared at her back, scoffing. As though I would ever let a Weasley distract me. I was Theodosia freaking Marx— no little boy would keep me from something.

A horn signaled the start of the draw mere seconds after Ginny had left, making my heart beat twice as fast. Standing, I left the Tent with my sternest look, trying to ignore the chill of the wind. It was cold out as usual— for a February day in the UK. I stood next to the delegates from Beauxbatons as we began, Cedric coming to stand next to me.

Dumbledore held a bundle of what seemed to be dried kelp in his hand, arms held out towards us. "Champions— welcome to the Second Task. We congratulate you on your work so far and wish you good luck on this next Task."

I glanced at Cedric, noting how pale his face was. He was scared. My hand found his as the Judges explained the draw. Madam Maxime spoke up this time. "Each of you vill take a— a kelp. Whoever picks the shortest of you and your partner vill compete."

I nodded slightly as her eyes locked with mine, biting down hard on the inside of my cheek. This is what I had been working for— what I'd been practicing all week for. I was going to get the shorter piece. 

The Durmstrang delegates picked first— Viktor Krum they shouted as the winner was revealed.

Next were the girls from Beauxbatons— Fleur Delacour was announced with delight by the judges.

We were last. I pulled a strand of kelp first, clenching it tightly in my hand as Cedric drew. It was shorter— I could already tell. With a panicked decision, I ripped the kelp as it was between my hands, hiding half inside my pocket. As I presented the piece, I noticed Dumbledore staring from the side. He turned away, saying nothing.

Oh.

"Theodosia Marx-Black," Karkaroff announced in a booming voice. A smile split across my face— thank Merlin it worked.

I looked to my side, where Cedric was frowning at me. I offered him a small smile, moving towards the girls' tent to change. Hung over a chair was my newest uniform, soft music playing from somewhere, probably in hopes of calming us down beforehand. But, I didn't want to calm down. I was ready.

__

Dressed yet again in black-and-green, I neared the deck we were launching from, wand in hand. The rest of my things were inside the tent or the school— safe from grubby hands. Tight material and bare feet left me feeling exposed and cold— especially as the icey mud near the lake hit my feet.

It had been thirty minutes since the drawing— yet Cedric seemed to have disappeared. I looked at Fleur and Viktor, finding Harry running towards us, cheeks red in embarrassment. Snorting, I shook my head, getting my wand ready. I was ready.

But, I still needed someone to reverse the spell after I was done. I would lose my voice— I needed Cedric. He knew the spell— I taught him myself. But he needed to actually be here to do it.

The horn sounded and we were off. I practically shouted the spell as I jumped, making sure to toss my wand far onto shore. I didn't know any non-verbal spells yet— so it was useless now.

The water hit me with a cold burst, startling me away from whatever distracting thoughts I'd been having. It took me a second to get used to the tail— though I had improved greatly since my first try. Pushing into the dark abyss, I made myself go faster and deeper— forcing myself to my limits. I'm sure if I was above ground, I would be sweating. But, here underwater— everything was clean and quiet. 

So quiet.

__

(A/N: New chapter is clearly up, around 1020 words.)