- PART 26 -

THEO

THEO

~

THIS WAS VERY WEIRD. I wasn't really sure what to do. George didn't say anything further, but his arm remained on my shoulders and he didn't show any signs of moving. I tried to keep calm, but my heart was racing for some inexplicable reason.

"What— " I cleared my throat as my voice cracked. "What are you doing?"

He shushed me, nodding towards the front. I must have zoned out, because McGonagall had begun lecturing, oblivious to my inner turmoil. I swallowed— throat suddenly dry, wondering why my face was so hot all of a sudden. 

Throughout the entire class, George's arm remained slung across my shoulders and my face remained boiling. I think I even started to sweat, despite the constant chill throughout the school. I didn't move once— thoroughly frozen.

I stayed still even as the other students dispersed at the end of class— fully aware of George standing up and packing his things. Part of me just wanted him to leave— the rest of me was scared he would.

"Doe— are you coming?"

I glanced up, eyes meeting Kia's. George stood next to me, but I was suddenly focused on the twin of Adrian. Her eyes were tinged with red still and her face was growing red— but she still came towards me. I found myself nodding, standing on shaky legs to join her. George was unstable, unknown— Kia was safe. More than that— she was familiar.

Sliding my bag over my shoulder, I glanced back at George before grabbing Kia's hand and leaving. The contact felt awkward, but I suddenly needed someone to keep me from making a mistake; I couldn't fall for George. I couldn't. School was ending in a few months and I didn't need anyone else worrying about me or writing me. No matter how much I missed— 

No matter what, I couldn't do this.

Kia and I left the classroom.

__

Cedric begrudgingly sat next to me in Herbology later in the day. The remnants of winter left the greenhouse cold, but for once my friend didn't fret over my warmth. I was more than certain he was just with me so George or some boy wouldn't be by my side— no doubt word of Weasley's arm around my shoulders had spread to him by now.

Cedric was always weird about boys— specifically me being around boys. It wasn't jealousy, more so an overprotectiveness that I was unfamiliar with before starting school. Since our second year, when Albert Penn presented me with a rose and called me a babe, he had been odd about boys. I guess he did hear all of the things boys said about girls in the bathrooms and dorms— so it wasn't entirely unjustified. I knew he wasn't as crass as some of the boys— and girls —at our school, but the level of maturity was almost shocking.

I had never caught Cedric peering up a girls skirt or staring at her chest— he hadn't commented on any of the maturing females unless saying he thought she was pretty or smart. Ced was the type to worship his girlfriend, and he did.

Cho was a Goddess to him— it was obvious. He was always kissing her cheek or looking for her at meals. And while at first, I had felt abandoned by him— he proved that he was nothing but loyal to our friendship, despite his newfound love.

I wish more people were the same. With most of the students at our school, it was all about finding a boyfriend or girlfriend. Part of me worried that was what George was looking for— a girlfriend to parade around like a trophy.

I didn't want that. The majority of my life my mother had been doing the same thing to me— I didn't want to be a doll, perfect and flawless. I wanted it to be okay if I was messed up and hurt and broken— so I didn't want to be with George. And I couldn't now— not when it'd ruin Kia.

__

I was late getting back to the Dorms. It was the night after the Task and I couldn't calm down. My hair stunk of the lake water and was surely frizzy and knotted by now. My legs held mud stains and my hands were freezing. But, I wasn't thinking of any of that— and neither was Kia.

Our roommates were in the Common Room partying— probably drunk off their asses by the time I got inside. Kia was in only her nightdress and a pair of long socks. She didn't seem very party-ready, she actually looked pretty nervous. I stopped halfway through taking off my dirty clothes, wincing as I looked at a cut I hadn't noticed, on my shoulder. I glanced over at Kia, raising an eyebrow.

"Is my shoulder jacked up?"

She seemed to snap from whatever daze she was in, stepping towards me in the darkness. Surprisingly warm hands touched my bare shoulder as I stood in just a tank top and my pants. 

"You're fine, Doe."

I turned towards her, cocking my head. She was acting weird. "Are you drunk or something, Pucey? You're acting like an idiot— "

"Me? God, you you're such a . . . " She stopped, staring at me. It seemed as though she was at a loss. I raised an eyebrow, questioning the gaze she wore holding something other than hate, for once.

"What? Cat got your— 

It took a second to register her face in front of mine. And another to realize her lips were on mine. Then two more for me to acknowledge that although the feeling wasn't exactly . . . bad, it felt nothing compared to when George kissed me. I pulled away.

Her face crumbled. I opened my mouth to say something, but before I could she was shoving me back. I tripped, almost falling— she ran.

__

AN:

Thanks for the patient waiting. Word count is around 1000 words, and I'd like to give a special shout out to the following readers:

xMoonsong

RRT1032001

@allthepatatothings

@ChOse_

ParkJiminInABathtub

Thank you all for reading and commenting. Even though I don't reply to all of your comments (because you can only respond a laughing emoji so many times before it seems dumb) I read them all and appreciate it all. Also, to everyone else reading, I love you as well, I just picked a few of the steady commenters. Thanks, everyone!