- PART 20 -

THEO

THEO

~

THINGS HAD BEEN . . . WEIRD since Christmas Break.

I thought once classes started back up, things would go back to normal, but they really didn't. George ignored me, sitting as far from me as possible in every class. At meals, he made sure to sit so he never faced the Slytherin table, and he pranked Slytherin more viciously than ever.

For years, I had thought it would be a blessing if George stopped annoying me. But, now that he had— now that George ignored me, I felt kind of  . . . empty. It was like, I had this tumor on my arm for so long that now I was lopsided without it. And, I knew that George was bad— he was a jerk to Slytherin's sometimes and he seemed to be ready to get married tomorrow or something. He didn't care about his grades or getting in trouble— he was actually proud of the reputation he and his twin had as Pranksters.

I was so different. While I wasn't soft, I didn't like being bad. When I scared First Years— it kind of hurt, most of the time. It was worth it— because they wouldn't bug me if they were scared of me —but it still just hurt. And I hated getting in trouble— really, truly hated it. Half-way through Fourth Year, I flat-out stopped selling contraband in school. I don't even know why I brought all the crap I did this year— I ended up tossing it all in the Black Lake a few months into school.

George Weasley was my opposite in so many ways. He was good, despite acting bad— yet, I was scared I was bad no matter how good I pretended to be. That's why we worked. It was some yin and yang shit— balance and all of that.

Now though— I didn't talk to him. I sat unbothered between Cassius and Adrian during class— faked a laugh, avoided looking at him. Because if I looked at him, I'm sure I would start thinking of the Yule Ball and seeing him with Kia and talking to him and—

I didn't talk to Kia, either. Ever. She was pissed at me for some reason and I couldn't stop thinking about her and George whenever I saw her. Just the sound of her voice made me want to punch something— preferably her.

But, I couldn't stop to worry about all of that. So, instead, I focused on the Task and kept my head down. Cedric though— Cedric was on cloud freaking nine. Him and Cho were dating— officially —and it made him happier than ever. I almost wondered if he'd been hit with a love potion— but Cho seemed just as lovestruck.

I was happy for them— really, I was. I didn't care much for Cho, but Cedric was my friend. So, I smiled as he stared at her across the hall during any meal they didn't sit together. And during Prefect meetings (which I'd been forcing myself to attend) they'd be side-by-side, whispering to each other and both blushing like crazy. I'd never seen Cedric so happy— not even when he won his first Quidditch match.

For him and Cho, I think it was a forever type of thing. The thing where you get married and have loads of babies in the suburbs— that was what they were going to have —and everyone seemed to know it. I wanted that for Cedric— I really did. He was an only child, but the closest thing I had to a brother. He would be a great dad, I could already tell. He was great with the First Years and always seemed to have his head on right. Cedric Diggory was just good.

I decided to let him slack off for this Task, since I'd slacked so much the first time. Once I figured out how, I returned to the Prefect's Bathroom every night to practice the spell. We were running out of time before the next Task and I needed to be ready.

For Cedric.

I couldn't watch him get hurt, not ever again. I'd seen the little scars left by the First Task's burns— seen the way he would rub over his face to make sure they were gone every once and a while. the First Task hurt him, and I wasn't going to let that happen again. Even if he didn't show it, Cedric was scared. And I wouldn't give him more to be scared about. I'd do the Task, protect him, and he'd run off into the sunset with Cho.

It was all going to work out. And if it didn't, I'd do anything to fix it.