- PART 27 -

LOW-KEY TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE/MENTION OF ABUSE
Nothing really graphic, just mention of abuse or something close to it, along with a flashback to getting locked in a closet. Check the AN at the end for a recap if you'd rather just not read it.

 Check the AN at the end for a recap if you'd rather just not read it

THEO

~

"DOE, WE NEED TO talk. Now." Cedric declared, pulling me by my elbow.

Confused, I let him lead me into an empty corridor near the Great Hall, still half asleep from the boring Prefect meeting after lunch. The usually pristine Hufflepuff had bags under his eyes and a tired face that didn't match the warming weather. It was late March, the perfect time for everyone at school to relax before OWLs and NEWTs.

"Ced? Is something— "

"What are we going to do about the summer?"

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "What do you mean— I thought your parents were taking you to Greece or something for the summer?"

"But, I can't just— . . . " He cupped my face with his hands, thumbs rubbing the space below my eyes. "I don't want to leave you, Dosie."

"Come on, it'll be fine, Digg."

"I don't— I don't like this. I don't trust her— she's going to do something, Theo." His hands went to wrap around my shoulders, pulling me against his chest. "I just know it."

Forcing a laugh, I let Cedric hug me for a few seconds. I was confused— beyond confused, at this point. Less than a week ago, Cedric would barely even talk to me. But, with the sudden gust of warm weather— well, warm compared to the freezing winter we'd just had —Cedric's anger seemed to melt away with the snow, replaced by worry. A whole bunch of it.

Pulling away, my eyes unintentionally locked with a set of bright green orbs— Harry.

"I'm going to write my mum— maybe you can come with us."

I snapped attention back to my friend, smiling despite knowing it'd be of no use. There was no way in hell my mom would ever let me stay with another family over the summer. Cedric grinned back, oblivious.

"Alright, Ced— enough of this touchy-feely crap. I'll see you at dinner." Patting his shoulder, I began to retreat, hoping to get away from all of this pity Cedric emitted.

__

Despite the warming weather, I was still cold. Cedric offered his jacket, but I refused, claiming I was perfectly content. The once familiar leather jacket I used to wear everywhere now rested on my shoulders, feeling heavy and awkward. I don't remember the last time I wore it; the winter months required heavy cloaks or coats, leaving the leather useless for a long time.