Little J

2 months after regaining her memory

I lean over the counter looking at the many different assortments of candy Babs has bought. "I want the red one!" I turn over my left shoulder to see little Jerome smiling. "No, you just ate my whole bowl of ice cream!" He laughs and hops onto the counter. "Please (y/n)? I'll be a good boy." I shake my head and pop a purple-colored candy into my mouth. Jerome narrows his eyes at me. "You're bad." Seconds later he lunged at me causing me to fall to the ground.

"(Y/N)! Gosh, girl are you okay? Did you trip on something?" I look at her confused and then avert my eyes back to little J. I nod my head and stand up gathering myself together. "Hey, hey, hey. Hold up." Babs stops me and holds my face in her hands. "Are you sure you're okay? You've looked like you've seen a ghost." I look to where Jerome was standing and sigh. I have to get this under control. I'll end up driving myself crazy.

2 months later:

I fold my clothes and place them in the drawers where they belong. I'm still living with Babs for the time being. Now knowing what I was without for so long is very pleasing, but it does not make it any easier. I've been forced to accept the fact that my Jerome is gone. The true love of my life is never going to be able to make me smile with his laughter ever again. Love is dead and gone. Most people are able to get over the loss of someone close eventually. Although all of them I can guarantee they have never had their ghost following them!

I close the drawer and move over to my walk-in the closet getting ready to hang up my new wardrobe Babs so kindly bought me. "Ohh I like this one!"  Little J says coming up beside me and tugging on the green dress. "Yes. it's very nice." I reply plainly.

J walks in front of me and stands his ground firmly. I try and move around him, but he locks his body into one spot. I huff trying not to get frustrated with the child. "Jerome, please move. I have to get these up!"  His eyes become soft and his smile lowes slightly. "I didn't mean to upset you (y/n)." I get on my knees to his height and place my hands on his shoulders. "Jerome you have to understand something. You need to move on." Jerome steps back almost surprised. "Move on? How can I leave you? How could I survive without you?" He says starting to get louder with each sentence.

His voice rings in my ears tormenting my brain. My whole body starts to shake and I fall to the ground. "I CAN'T LEAVE! I WON'T LEAVE!" He screams in my ears.

"Stop."
He continues to scream at me.
"STOP."
He continues.
"PLEASE STOP!"

"HEY!" A new voice breaks through the screams. I look up with cloudy and wet eyes to see Barbra standing in the doorway of my closet. "What the hell is going on?" She rushes to me in concern.

Holding my face in her hands as a sob hysterically. "He won't leave." "Who?" I point my finger at the ginger a few feet away. "(y/n) there is no one there." I put my own hands over hers and continue to sob. "No! It's Jerome! He won't leave." I sob even more as she holds me. "Shh. listen to me. He's not real. He's dead (y/n)." I frantically nod my head. "Yes, he is! He's constantly here. He just keeps reminding me He's gone, and I couldn't do anything about it! It was my fault!" Babs then brings her open hand and smacks it across my cheek.

I stare at her blankly. "You slapped me." "You were being hysterical. Now come on. I know exactly how to run off those bad thoughts. How about a little laughing gas?" She smiles and pulls out a pearled blunt. I sigh standing up. I grab the blunt, light it, and inhale the smoke, and after a few hits, I can feel my sorrows and worries lift off my shoulders. I inhale once more and turn to the little boy with a smile on his face. I walk up to him and blow the smoke in his face and just like the smoke he starts to fade away.

Later in the night as I lay in bed I feel a body slide next to mine. I huff and rollover ready to tell little J to go away again, but once I roll over my eyes meet a red-haired man. "Hey, there dollface." I touch his cheek and feel the soft skin under my fingertips. "Jerome?" He nods and runs his fingers through my hair. "I can't stay long." "Why? What's the rush? Come on you don't have to leave." I plead holding his shirt in my hands. He places his on top of mine and smiles sweetly. This is the Jerome I miss. This is the Jerome I wish I had. "No, darling. You told me to go, and I want to respect you." "N-no J. I want you. I want you to stay." He shakes his head and brings my hand up to kiss it. "I wouldn't be me. The one Jerome you'll get isn't me, and you know that." I shake my head fighting the tears. "It's not fair. I can't live without you." I lay my head on his chest and try to drift to sleep. Jerome places a kiss on my head and leans down closer. "You won't have to much longer doll."