A Bit Madder

I roll over in the large bed cuddling into Jerome. "Ah, just like old times." He mumbles wrapping his arms around my bare frame. I giggle running my fingertips over his chest. "We've been through it all, huh?" Jerome sighs letting his eyes fall closed again. "More than one lifetime."

"So..." I sit up covering myself as I face Jerome. "Who was better?" I narrow my eyes in confusion. "What?" "Oh, come on now doll. Don't act all innocent. You gave my brother one wild ride, didn't you?" I stare at him with my mouth dry. "I-I didn't know- We just- I'm not-" Jerome cackles loudly holding his head.

He stops and looks at me with his stunning green eyes with seriousness. "Aw, honey, it's alright. Lucky him!" Jerome flips me over on my back pinning me down by my shoulders. "But... you ever do it again... I'll keep you locked away where not even Jimbo will be able to hear you. Okay?" I stare into his eyes, my body welling up with pure fear. He has never threatened me before.

His smile disappears. "Wrong approach? Don't be scared, (y/n). You have to know I'd never hurt you. I just can't have you being torn away from me again. All those weeks you never showed took a toll on me, doll. I'll never let you out of my grasp again. You'll have to live by a couple of restrictions, but that will change over time when we get settled. Okay?" I gulp nodding my head fearful of the wrong answer. "Okay, J." He smiles wide, leaning down and kissing me.

Jerome rolls out of bed getting dressed. "Alright sweets, coming down for the test subject?" I nod sitting up with the sheet. A quick flash catches my attention. Near the door Jerome stands to hold an old camera; much like the one he owned before.

"Jerome!" I laugh covering myself. "Oh don't whine! I'll need a good look on the bad days." He looks down smiling at the photo developing in his fingertips. "Bad days?"

Jerome's head snaps up meeting my eyes. "Everyone has them... You will. I will. Jimbo will." He trails off looking in the distance. "What is your plan, Jerome?" "I've got it all worked out, doll. I just want you to sit back and enjoy the show." "You're not telling me?" Jerome shakes his head looking down at the photo again. "I can't spoil the twist." He opens the door leaving the room cold.

~

I wander down the steps, buttoning my shirt. As I step foot in the living room I'm startled to see Gotham's top-rated villions chilling in the area. "Oh! Hi!" I laugh feeling my nerves well up. Firefly stands walking over to me smirking. "You served me once." "Uh, sure."

I walk past her and sit next to Jerome as he plays with his gun. "There you are. You've met the crew." I nod looking around at everyone. "Yeah. Here and there." Jerome grabs my hand kissing each of my fingers dramatically. "Are you ready to see what I've been cooking?" He giggles causing me to smile. "I'm very excited! If anyone can make the city mad it's you, baby."

Jerome leans in ready to kiss me but sighs backing away. "Ugh! So many things to do to you and such little time on my hands."

"BRING IN THE TEST SUBJECT!"

Scarecrow walks in a trembling man. "An unwilling businessman."

Scarecrow walks closer mixing a vile and pouring it in his spray device. "No, no, no. No, please, please. Please don't hurt me."

"Oh, this... won't hurt a bit." Scarecrow spays the man in the face with the purple mist. In seconds the man's face contorts and his lips stretch into a wide smile. He cackles and grabs at his face in a blind panic. My breath catches in my throat. This isn't a plan to get money or even raise our status in Gotham. This is just pure madness.

"Oh, we're gonna need a lot more of this!" Jerome nods jumping out of his seat and laughing at the man. "Are you seeing this, doll?" I nod laughing lightly. "It's very... joyful!" He continues laughing allowing my worry to grow.

Sure Jerome was mad before, so was I, but this is different. This is mindless planning. Maybe when he was brought back he lost a part of himself. Maybe it was because I didn't come to visit him.