A Study in Pink: Chapter 4

It took John a bit longer to appear at 221B, but since he'd recently left war, it was obvious he'd be prepared for any situation. When Sherlock texted him it might be dangerous he'd probably stopped at his flat to grab a gun- if you knew him enough from the few moments you'd met him he surely did.

You heard John's footsteps climbing the stairs at a fast pace, which was surprising considering his limp; his psychosomatic limp. You stopped, giving Sherlock a knowing look, before you continued on with your thoughts. The door slowly creaked open and you saw John's face appear. When he saw you, he sighed pushing the door open further and stepping inside. He looked at Sherlock, avoiding your eye contact. He'd been skittish around you ever since he'd accidentally pretty much called you a freak without knowing you were you. You didn't think he knew you didn't care.

"Erm..." He stepped farther into the flat, closing the door softly behind him as he looked over you then Sherlock. You both ignored him, still in deep thought.

"Dr Watson." You finally acknowledged his existence; his staring when you turned your back began to make you become a bit unfocused. His eyebrows furrowed at you and he quickly looked back to Sherlock.

"You've been talking about me?" He asked Sherlock. Of course this was because you had called him Dr Watson. He hadn't told you that he was a doctor himself, but you were easily able to deduce it from him, along with the history of his military career.

"Oh, don't flatter yourself, John. She found out herself. Not everyone is as stupid as you." Sherlock stated simply from the couch. John ignored Sherlock's rude comment and his eyes focused back to you, although he wasn't maintaining direct eye contact. He was definitely intimidated by you, you saw that look often.

"I assume Sherlock has already deduced you?" You asked. John gave a simple nod. "Good, then that saves me from explaining how I knew. Also, Sherlock bringing you to a crime scene to look over a body kind of gave it away." You turned to a chair, and plopped yourself down in it, your legs crossed over each other in your lap. You sighed, leaning back into the chair to look up at the ceiling. John's eyes were still focused on you- you could almost feel his stare.

"Do you normally stare at people when they're not looking?" You tilted your head back up to look at John. That comment clearly flustered him.

"No, I- well, uh-" He stuttered all over the place, his cheek tingeing a shade of red.

"Sherlock?" You questioned him as you looked over John's form.

"Hmm?" Sherlock hummed from the couch.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's nervousness?" You pointed a finger towards John and Sherlock opened one eye to glance at him.

"Mmm, yes, I'd say so." Sherlock relaxed back into his concentration and John looked more flustered than ever.

He just stood in the middle of the room, rubbing the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact at all costs. "Is this because of the incident back at the crime scene? You know I don't have emotions, right?"

John seemed to relax a bit more after you told him that, which you were grateful for. All his nervousness was making it harder to focus. "Oh, uh, no. I-I didn't."

You nodded, leaning back into the chair once more, closing your eyes. You imagined all the information you knew, all of it floating around in your head and trying to piece itself together. It was a puzzle you couldn't quite seem to fit together yet. There was missing pieces still yet to find. That excited you.

"What are you doing?" John broke the silence, and you grunted, trying to keep your focus on the case. Why couldn't he just be quiet?

"Nicotine patch." Sherlock told him, holding out his arm for John to get a clear look of the three patches on his arm. You were just glad he was talking to Sherlock and not you.