The Blind Banker: Chapter 18

You met Sherlock back at his flat awhile before the show started, just to make sure you weren't going to be late to the circus. You decided on just wearing a pair of nice pants along with a casual, but cute, blouse. You had put on a bit of excess makeup and even went as far as styling your hair- which you weren't very good at. You had to give yourself the credit though; you looked nice. You just wanted to fit in with everyone else at the show.

You stepped through the flat's doors and Sherlock looked up at you from putting his coat on. He must've heard you coming up the stairs. His eyes slowly scanned your body, and you placed a hand on your elbow, thinking maybe you shouldn't have gotten so prepped up. It wasn't like you to care if you looked nice, but tonight you just wanted... something different.

"Your hair." Sherlock observed, squinting his eyes at it. You felt your cheeks grow hot and you cursed at yourself for feeling embarrassed.

"Is it, well, does it look bad?" You stuttered, brushing your fingers lightly through it. You bit your lip, gazing up at Sherlock who'd crossed the room towards you. Now Sherlock was going to say it looked bad and you'd have to deal with that interrupting your thoughts all night.

"No, it looks... nice." Sherlock coughed, darting his eyes away as your cheeks heated up again.

"Oh! Well, um, thank you." Your lips perked up slightly as you gazed towards the ground, wondering what this feeling was, again eating at your stomach. You were glad he liked it.

"Shall we head out?" Sherlock asked, holding his arm out for you to take. You threaded yours through his.

"Of course, we don't want to be late for our date." You joked. Sherlock smiled at you and your stomach did flips as he guided you down the stairs and out of the flat where you got a taxi to the circus.

***

You made your way up the creaky wooden stairs up towards the circus. You could clearly make out John's voice as he talked to the man at the ticket booth.

"No, there must be some mistake. I only reserved two tickets under that name." John explained to someone. Sherlock emerged from the stairs along with you and John looked surprised, yet annoyed at the same time.

"Then I phoned back and ordered two more for me and Y/n. It's a... what do you call it?" Sherlock turned to look at you and you grinned, a rather fake and cheesy grin.

"A double date!" You acted excited as you waved your hands slightly for dramatic effect. You hoped John's date thought it was believable enough. Yet, even though you knew you were acting, you still felt excited. You weren't sure why, but in this moment, you didn't fight it.

"Oh, that sounds lovely!" The woman John was with, smiled at the two of you while John still looked annoyed. Perfect, you smiled a small, fake smile at her.

"Right." Sherlock nodded before hurrying away.

"I'll be back." John sighed before following after him. You were left alone with John's date and you tapped your fingers on your legs awkwardly.

"So, you and John's friend?" The girl asked and you looked up at her, shaking your head.

"Oh, me and Sherlock? N-" You started but then changed your mind as you decided it would be best to stay 'undercover'. "Yes, actually. Um, we work together and he uh, asked me out." You nodded to her and she smiled. You didn't know how this dating stuff went!

"You two are a cute couple." You tilted your head confused at her before you decided that it must be a compliment.

"Oh, um. Thank You. I never did catch your name..." You trailed off, looking to where Sherlock and John had disappeared.