The Reichenbach Fall: Chapter 5

You hurried into Barts hospital, heading straight towards the largest lab, to see Molly typing furiously on a computer. You threw your bag down, looking at the screen without even saying a word. Your eyes scanned the screen seeing different files being corrupted before your eyes. Molly had tried to stop the process, but it didn't seem to be doing anything at all. If anything it was corrupting files quicker by the second.

"It looks like our system has gotten some sort of virus, how did this happen?" You demanded, shooing her over so you could type onto the computer keyboard. You worked as fast as you could to save the work of rewriting these files all night. "This will take awhile." You groaned starting to manually reverse engineer the malware that was somehow downloaded into the network. You didn't think that any ole' anti-virus app could help you stop this one, it wouldn't even let you log out of the system to stop the virus from spreading from one file to another. A domino effect.

"I-I don't know I was just trying to convert the files you finished for me to the network and it started deleting everything. I-I tried to exit the software." Molly sounded panicked as she watched you work on the computer, trying to decode the malware. She stood back, not getting too close into your personal space so you could think quickly as you worked to stop the virus' effects. She knew you too well.

"Did you open a file that didn't look familiar? Go on to a website, click on a popup ad? Anything Molly, I need to know how it got here." You didn't look up from the computer but continued to search through the coding trying to decipher it so you could figure out how to even read it. It was unlike any coding you had ever seen.

"No! I was just in the system we launch for the files, I didn't click anything. This is so going to get me fired." You turned to look for her just for a split second and saw she truly looked terrified, there were even tears in her eyes. Poor Molly, you envied her for being able to be upset over something that wasn't even her fault. She had such a kind heart.

"If you didn't open any strange files or anything like that, it must mean it was purposefully sent to our system. They can't fire you, besides I'm your boss and I'm going to fix this before anyone even finds out. It seems to have started with the oldest files anyway. All the paper files we don't have any longer, I can retype, I have all the files memorized." You told her as you typed. "Now get me a coffee or something, I'm going to be here awhile." You told her as you focused on the coding. Molly left the lab quickly without a word.

This code had to be handmade, you didn't recognize it at all, which meant you'd have to file it through a decompiler which would take even longer. You knew the virus had to be intentional, and you had a feeling it had something to do with Moriarty. But what you didn't understand was if Moriarty had something to do with it, why would he do it? There was no motivation for getting you here at the lab or for deleting any of the hospital's forensic files, it just didn't make any sense. He was up to something, that was for sure.

Molly came back later with a cup of coffee for you and she sat it by your side, before sitting next to you and watching you work. You took a quick swig of the coffee before returning to the computer. You had just gotten most of the code's programming into a more readable language. That way you could start figuring out how it was constructed and destroy it at its source. Maybe even backpedal and get every file back to normal.

"How's it going?" Molly asked, looking at the computer screen that was filled with constantly moving coding moving through the decompiler. You took another sip of the coffee before you turned back to the computer. Your eyes rapidly scanned across the screen as you took in every letter and number that passed by.

"Good, actually. It appears as if I can reverse the effects of the virus, it was disguised a lot worse than I originally thought. It's still going to take awhile, but at least we can get the files back." You told her, typing more programs into the computer as new decodings popped up.