The Sign of Three: Chapter 6

A thousand thoughts seemed to pass through Sherlock's mind as his eyes focused on you. But you knew he didn't actually see you. His eyes were slightly cloudy which told you he was lost somewhere inside his head. He suddenly came to when the sound of his wine glass hitting the floor echoed throughout the room.

"...here today." He looked down at the shattered glass, then apologetically up at everyone. But, you could still tell his brain was somewhere else completely before he realized this was reality. You knew he understood what he had to do. He was the only one with complete control of the room at the moment, he had to hold that control and keep it as long as he possibly could, until one of you could solve the case. You needed to figure out what was about to happen, and now. No one was dying at John and Mary's wedding if it were up to you and Sherlock.

"Ohh, sorry. I..." Sherlock continued to blink down at the shattered glass, still not seeming to be fully alert yet. This was a matter of life and death. But who? You took a quick survey of the room... you couldn't yet be sure. Any of them could potentially be murderers... How did you narrow it down?

"Another glass. Sir?" A man hurried to Sherlock's side, presenting him with a new wine glass.

"Thank you, yes. Thank you, yes." Sherlock spoke quickly, taking the glass without even looking at the man. Sherlock stood there for a moment in silence, clearly gathering his thoughts. You knew he wasn't sure where he'd last left off before his revelation. "Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Raising glasses and standing up. Very good. Thank you." Molly shot you a look, and you avoided it, still sitting in your seat while everyone around you stood. "And down again." Sherlock gestured to everyone to again take their seats and they gazed at him in confusion. They listened to him, all slowly taking their seats.

"Y/n..." Molly spoke, her voice shaking slightly from nerves. Even she could feel something wasn't quite right. You knew everyone at the table wanted answers. They knew you and Sherlock and they could tell when something wasn't quite right.

"Shh..." You hushed her, watching Sherlock's every move. He couldn't make one mistake here until you figured this out, you had to figure this out.

"Ladies and gentlemen, people tell you not to milk a good speech - get off early, leave 'em laughing. Wise advice I'll certainly try to bear in mind. But for now..." Sherlock gazed the small crowd intently, his eyes dark. He pressed his hand on the table, jumping over it as he walked down the center aisle through the tables. "Part two." John and Mary looked startled as Sherlock walked through the crowd, they had no idea what was going on or what was about to happen.

As Sherlock passed you on his way down to the center of the room he gave you a look you knew all too well. It was the look that said, 'the game is on'. This time however, he didn't look excited about it. He looked pressed. This wasn't for fun anymore, it was to stop someone from getting killed at your best friend's wedding. You gave him a slight nod, letting him know you were both on the same page and you'd help in any way you possibly could.

"Part two is more action-based. I'm gonna... walk around, shake things up a bit. Who'd go to a wedding? That's the question. Who would bother to go to any lengths to get themselves to a wedding? Well, everyone." Sherlock was clearly showing he wasn't mentally all there as he shot out the first words that came to his head all while deducing everyone in the room. He waved his arms around as he paced from table to table. You continued to scan the people you could see, no one screamed 'Mayfly Man' yet...

"Weddings are great! Love a wedding. And John's great, too! Haven't said that enough. Barely scratched the surface. I could go on all night about the depth and complexity of his... jumpers... and he can cook. Did... a... thing... thing with peas... once. Might not be peas. Might not be him. But he's got a great singing voice... or somebody does." Sherlock continued on as he scanned the crowd, clearly becoming more frustrated with each passing second.