The Lying Detective: Chapter 3

(Yay! Another chapter :) Sorry I'm not uploading everyday, I've just been up to more lately around my house! I missed writing a lot though. Here's a longer chapter to make up for it! I hope you all enjoy it! Also, I know the world is absolutely crazy right now, and if any of you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask! I promise you all that I care. ❤️ Thank you all again for the constant support on this book, you all seriously mean a lot to me.)

***

Smith brought you on the set of his cereal commercial and was persistent that you all watch him do another take. You stood in between John and Sherlock as you watched everyone scramble to get everything just perfect. Bright lights were hung everywhere, aimed on Smith's face and a few huge cameras were angled in front and beside him. People with headsets ran back and forth to insure everything was going to run smoothly.

Smith sat behind a large breakfast bar where a box of the cereal, a spoon, and a bowl sat full of milk and cereal. He didn't look too excited to be producing the commercial as he sat there, watching everyone run about like they were a huge inconvenience.

"Set; and action!" The director yelled, and everyone became silent as Smith began his lines. You watched in annoyance, already knowing this was going to be stupid.

The lights dimmed as Smith starred eerily into the camera. It was enough to give you goosebumps just looking at the man's face, so his dark look didn't do him any help. "I'm a killer." He spoke softly, his eyes bearing into the front camera's lens. "You know I'm a killer." He smiled at that line before turning to his right to stare into that camera. "But did you know... I'm a cereal killer?!" At that line the lights went up and Smith grinned, taking a huge bite of the cereal. "Mm!" He grinned.

His face changed from a smile to disgust as he waved towards the director and the director nodded in understanding. "And cut there. Thank you." Everyone began moving again and you sighed, watching Smith as he clapped and a young girl hurried to bring him a trash can. He spit out the cereal, whipping a hand across his face.

Smith repulsed you. You tried not to think about him too much as you turned away, rubbing a hand over your belly as you felt the baby kicking around. You think the baby agreed with you that Smith was a nasty human.

John was watching Smith from afar but he turned towards Sherlock, a frown on his face. "Has it occurred to you – anywhere in your drug-addled brain – that you've just been played?" He asked Sherlock.

"Oh, yes." Sherlock nodded. Even Sherlock could tell Smith was using his accusations as a joke to make more money. It was so outrageous people wouldn't believe Sherlock- they'd think it was a publicity stunt. It's not like it was everyday Sherlock called someone of Smith's class a serial killer.

"For an ad campaign." John continued, clearly upset about the situation. John would be, after everything Sherlock had just put him through. He seemed a little upset with everything at the moment, and you really couldn't blame him.

"Brilliant, isn't it?" Sherlock asked, looking up towards Smith with narrowed eyes as he spoke to some of the workers.

"Brilliant?" John questioned with a wrinkled nose. You understood what Sherlock was saying.

"Well, why ignore the accusations when you can make money off of them? It's the safest place to hide." You told John.

"Plain sight." Sherlock finished, still watching Smith through squinted eyes.

"Mr Holmes? Culverton wants to know if you're okay going straight to the hospital." One of Smith's assistants walked up to the three of you. She looked sweet, unaware of what Smith was truly capable of. You remembered someone calling her Cornelia... she deserved a better job.