The Blind Banker: Chapter 5

When you arrived at the address sent by Sherlock, you saw that you were at a lavish flat complex. Sherlock and John stood outside the building, looking around and chatting with each other. You quickly folded your brain scans, shoving them inside your coat to be unseen before exiting the cab, hurrying across the street and over to them.

"Alright, ready?" You asked, squinting up at the building as you joined Sherlock and John. You pulled your coat closer to your body as you looked over the both of them. You felt like any second they'd know something was up, that you knew something they didn't. You pushed it out of your mind so Sherlock wouldn't pick anything up, the last thing you wanted was for him to finally have a reason to mention it.

"We just arrived, this is Eddie Van Coon's apartment." Sherlock told you.

"Eddie Van Coon?" You asked, not knowing who this so-called 'Eddie' was.

"Yes, back at the bank I found that whoever left that cipher meant it to be some sort of message to Eddie Van Coon. His office was the only one where you could clearly see the cipher on the painting I sent you over text." You nodded in understanding.

Sherlock leaned forward, buzzing the intercom labeled 'Van Coon'. He buzzed it multiple times, but got no answer.

"So what do we do now? Sit here and wait for him to come back?" John asked, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. Sherlock stepped away from the building, looking around a bit. You studied the labels of all the flats, thinking.

"No. Actually, we won't." You told him, studying the other labels around Van Coon's. The one directly above Eddie's, labeled 'Wintel', was clearly new, which meant someone had just moved in. You could use that to your advantage.

"Why wait around when there's a way in?" Sherlock agreed, stepping back to your side, looking at the labels along with you. You glanced over at him, already thinking of a plan in your mind. You could tell Sherlock was on the same page.

"What?" John asked, clearly not getting what Sherlock and you had discovered.

"Floor above, new label." Sherlock told John, getting a closer look. He ran his gloved finger lightly across it, seeming to be plotting a plan in his mind just like you.

"Could have just replaced it." John said, shrugging. You looked up from the labels to John, with a straight knowing look. Sherlock buzzed the intercom for the floor above Eddie's while you explained your reasonings to John.

"No one ever does that, John." Sherlock nodded at your statement in agreement as he waited hopefully for the person above Van Coon's to answer.

"Hello?" A woman's voice finally rang out.

"Hi, um, I live in the flat just below you. I don't think we've met. " Sherlock raised the pitch of the voice as he talked, making himself sound much more normal than usual. A huge, friendly smile was also stretched across his face. You raised your eyebrows impressed by his acting skills. You would've never guessed him to be a good actor. You could be too, just depending on who you were around...

"Well, er, I've just moved in." The woman replied sweetly. You looked over at John with a smug look while you crossed your arms. You gave him a 'I told you so' face and he rolled his eyes at you.

"Actually, I've just locked my keys in my flat." You watched as Sherlock suddenly looked as if he was a normal everyday human who forgot their keys in their flat. He really should have pursued acting, well that was if he wasn't so intelligent.

"Do you want me to buzz you in?" The lady asked. Sherlock bit his lower lip as he listened to the woman.

"Yeah. And can we use your balcony?" Sherlock asked, suddenly sounding like himself again.