Chapter 7

The next day Paul and I acted as if nothing had happened. In fact, there was something a little awkward between us. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened and neither could he, and he it was taking everything in us not to act attracted to each other.

"Hey can someone pass me the milk? I need some for my coffee." Marlon asked as he looked across the table. Both Paul and I reached for the milk, our hands touching on the container. His eyes looked into mine, I decided to actually pick the container up.

Marlon rose his brow as he watched us. "Here, Marlon." I handed him the glass.

"Thanks, kitten." Marlon said casually, I squinted at him calling me that name. Once he was done, he lifted the milk and looked to me. "Would you like milk?"

"No thank you." I shook my head.

"Milk, Paul?" He looked across the table.

"No thanks, I take my coffee black." Paul sipped out of his mug.

A knock on the door disrupted our eating breakfast. Marlon wiped his mouth with his napkin and stood up. "Must be him."

"Who?" Paul asked as he continued eating nonchalantly.

"This kid, James." Marlon shrugged as he walked to the door. "The studio said he wants me to mentor him or something."

"And you actually are?" Paul said in a sarcastic voice. "That's growth, Marlon."

"Fuck off." Marlon grinned before opening the door. The guy waiting outside was short with chestnut brown hair. He wore clear rimmed glasses that framed his face. His coat was an oversized one, his shoes were runners much like the ones Marlon wore from time to time.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce us properly?" I cut the silence in the room, fork still in hand.

"James, that's Adele and Paul." Marlon introduced.

"Paul... you're in some of my classes." The coy man pointed out.

"Yeah..." Paul nodded as he recognized him. "You're Jimmy Dean."

"In the flesh." He grinned while placing a hand on his chest. Then, he looked to Marlon. "Where are we heading to today?"

"I was thinking to China Town and getting some food. We have some things to talk over." Marlon suggested.

"Well, have fun." I smiled at the two of them as they exited. After the door shut, Paul slumped in his seat and shook his head with a smirk. "What?"

"I should've known who it was. He's obsessed with Marlon, that kid." Paul whispered to me. "I'm sure if he could wear Marlon as a skin, he would."

"I'm sure he just admires his work." I dismissed Paul's seemingly sensationalized tale.

"Oh yeah? Well word on the street is he's in love with him." Paul lifted a chin. "In a romantic way."

"Is there any reason for him to be in love with him?" I tilted my head. "It's Marlon, we're talking about. Let's not pretend we haven't seen the men he's brought through here too."

"Either way, Jimmy should easily be giving Marlon the creeps. I don't know why he'd be trying to mentor him. I'd pass on that one if I were him." Paul looked down as he poked at his eggs.

"Well it's a good thing that you weren't asked to mentor him." I rose from my seat and walked over to behind Paul's chair. Then I placed my hands on his shoulders. "Besides look at the bright side, we have the whole day to ourselves."

"Marlon not in sight." Paul grinned as I lowered my hands down his chest, then wrapped my arms around his neck from behind. My chin rested on top of his curly hair. "I wonder how we'll fill that time."

"Not in this dusty old apartment!" I proclaimed. "We should go somewhere. Out."

"Where, exactly?" Paul furrowed his eyebrows. I shrugged as I continued hugging around him. Then, an idea came to him. He lifted my hand that rested below his chin and brought it to his lips. "I know exactly where we will go."

"Oh yeah? Where?" I smiled against his ear.

"I can't tell you. You're just gonna have to trust me." Paul turned his face toward mine. We looked at each other for a bit, then I laughed and planted a kiss on his lips.

Outside Paul ran up to a cab and hauled it. "Stay right here... I don't want you knowing where we're headed to."

I laughed as I watched him jump in the cab and speak to the driver. Then, he got back out and held the door open for me. "Why thank you, sir."

"My pleasure." He said in a posh accent. Then he hopped into the cab with me and off we went. Holding his hand we watched the buildings pass us by.

Our car stopped by the ocean and both of us hopped out. I looked around, then back to Paul. "Can I finally know what we're doing?"

"Today..." Paul wrapped his arms around me as we stood in the chilly weather. "We are crossing the Brooklyn Bridge."

"I've never been." I smiled, then held his hand. Together we walked onto the bridge and joined the crowd of many people. While walking, I began telling Paul facts about the bridge. "You know, when they built this bridge they allowed 22 elephants to cross it."

Paul let out a hearty laugh. "Why the hell would they do that?"

"It was an effort to prove the bridge was strong... and worthy of walking and driving over." I shook my head with a smile. As we walked Paul and I were shoulder to shoulder, the material of our coats brushing against each other ever so often.

"Well they weren't bluffing. The bridge is still standing and all kinds of people walk over it everyday." Paul remarked. "It's unbelievable to think about how many walks of life found themselves here at some point."

"Miss!" A man sitting on a stool called to me. Beside him he had a small artist easel. Paul and I looked to one another then walked up to him. "Miss, would you like to purchase a portrait painting."

"Oh, I don't know if I should..." I hesitated, clasping my gloved hands together.

"It's only three cents..." The man haggled, he seemed to have a foreign accent.

"Come on, I'll cover it." Paul placed a hand on my back. After that, I decided to go through with it. The man pointed to a stool he had on the other side of the easel, and I took a seat in it.

"Bellissima..." The man said as he began to sketch. After giving me instructions on how to pose, I waited. Paul smiled warmly at me as the artist did his magic. Once he was finished, he picked up the paper and showed it to me. "Do you like?"

I was speechless... it looked just like me but I couldn't find the words to describe it.

"It's beautiful." Paul cooed as he looked down into my eyes. After looking down at me, he reached into his pocket and got out three pennies. "Thank you."

"Thank you..." The man smiled as he clinked the coins into his pocket. Paul took the portrait and rolled it up. Then, he reached out an open hand to me. I paused, looking down at it and wondering if I should trust to hold it. But then I looked into his eyes and knew it was okay.

Taking his hand, we continued our way to the other side of the bridge. After reaching Brooklyn, we turned around and began walking back toward Manhattan. Once we reached the center of the bridge once again, the sun had begun to set.

I paused for a moment, looking past the cars onto the water that glowed. Paul wrapped his arms around me, my portrait still rolled up in his hand. After looking out on the view, I turned to him, he held me close in an embrace.

Then slowly, his hand touched my chin as he leaned toward my face. Our lips kissed softly as people passed by around us. Afterwards, Paul took my hand once again until we crossed the end of the bridge.

Together.