Chapter 17

At the amusement park, the three of us were inseparable. Both men stuck by me the whole time. Paul was lively and excited to explore the park. Marlon had his moments of excitement, but still kept his serious demeanor. A cigarette was constantly burning between his lips while he watched Paul and I play arcade games.

The two men both gave a shot at a strength game. Paul held a large hammer as he pressed down on a button. Then he handed it off to Marlon, who beat him on the gage measuring their strength.

"I'm going again." Paul mumbled as he shuffled in his pocket. I placed my hand on his arm, advising him not to spend more money on it. But Paul's ego took over. With a nod he handed over his coin to the man, ready to take a shot at the thing for a second time.

Marlon bursted out laughing as Paul didn't do any better. "Nice try, but it looks like you'll need a little more time in the gymnasium."

"You know, I was going to be an athlete? This thing has to be rigged." Paul pointed. "It must make you win every other try.

"Then try again." Marlon baited Paul, crossing his muscular arms over his chest.

"I'd rather not." Paul rubbed the back of his neck looking at the device.

"Can you two stop? It's a wonderful day and all you can think about is out doing one another." I linked an arm with both Marlon and Paul. "We've still got lots to explore, so give up on your silly challenges."

They both looked at each other, but their eyes softened as they succumbed to my suggestion. With a grin, Paul reached in his pocket and pulled out a rolled object. "Well if it makes any difference, I've got this."

"A rollie cigarette?" I asked while looking at the white paper. Marlon grinned as he reached over and took the cigarette from Paul. He placed it under his nose as he got a good whiff.

"This is no tobacco cigarette." Marlon grinned as he looked down at it between his finger tips. Suddenly it was all clear to me what is was.

"It's kush?" I asked with a gasp and both boys shushed me at the same time. Paul nodded slowly as he took the rolled paper back from Marlon.

"But if anyone asks..." He grinned as he placed it between his lips. "It's exotic tobacco from Cuba."

"Where the hell are we gonna smoke that thing?" Marlon rose an eyebrow. I looked around the amusement park in search for a place we could, and then finally I spotted it. With my arms linked with the boys, I began rushing toward the mirror house.

"What if there's any kids in here?" Paul's voice echoed as we walked into the mirrored hallway.

"All the kids are at school. It's the middle of the week." I reassured them while looking at my many reflections in the mirrors. Then I turned toward the boys who were walking behind me. "Besides, you're the one who brought the pot to an amusement park."

"Touché." Paul raised his eyebrows. With ease, Paul leaned his shoulder against one of the mirrors as he stood there. Pressing the spliff between his lips, he began reaching for a lighter.

"Hey, hey, hey." Marlon plucked it from between his lips. Then he smiled and placed it between mine. "Ladies first."

"Oh sure." Paul rolled his eyes as he lifted the lighter to my lips. He lit the paper, then placed it back in his pocket. Both boys watched intently as I held it.

"Inhale it." Marlon instructed. I attempted, then practically coughed up a lung. They both laughed as I continued to cough. Paul reached for the paper and held it from my lips for a moment, then slowly placed it between them again.

"How does it feel?" He asked after taking the spliff from me. I looked around the room, expecting something big to happen.

"I don't feel anything." I told the boys as Paul took a drag.

Then he handed it to Marlon as he coughed a bit. "Just wait for it, baby."

Marlon took a deep drag, his nostrils flared as he held it in. Then, he pulled me close and blew it between my lips. Paul laughed as he watched me squirm from the sudden puff of smoke coming my way. 

By the time it was all burnt out, all three of us sat in a circle on the floor. Paul with his back against a mirror with Marlon and I in front of him. We laughed at seemingly nothing, and everything seemed to fall into place.

"You know what I just realized?" Marlon spoke up.

"What?" Paul's bloodshot blue eyes looked to him.

"It must be that leaves on a tree are called leaves because they leave in the fall." Marlon nodded as he looked up toward the ceiling. "You know what I mean?"

"No." Paul answered in a stoned monotone voice.

"I know what you mean."  I nodded. "Just like sky rhymes with high because it's high in the sky."

"Exactly!" Marlon pointed. "English is such a strange, strange language."

"You know what I want to know?" Paul smiled at the both of us. "What if we... as in the three of us."

"Three rhymes with we." Marlon interrupted in the most unrelated way.

"What if we all had sex right here." Paul rose his eyebrows. "What do you think would happen?"

"Well... we'd probably get arrested. For public... what's the word?" Marlon slowly spoke.

"Indecency." I answered.

"So what?" Paul shrugged. "So what, so what, so what?"

"I'll tell you what." I pointed at him. "I'll tell you that... someone. Anyone... can easily come in."

"But no one is here but us." Marlon reminded me. "Really no one will ever know. So why say no? Know. No. Wow, another one."

"Marlon is right." Paul nodded with a smile. "Listen to Marlon."

"Listen to me..." Marlon placed a hand on his chest. "Marlon."