Chapter 1: Why

Any comments containing spoilers for this story or any of my others will be deleted without notice. Please be kind to first time readers.

🐈🐈🐈

Why is my life like this?

Within sixty seconds of opening my eyes and shutting off the screeching alarm at my bedside, I start to question my existence. Does the universe hate me? Or am I just that unlucky? Is it something I did that made whatever powers that may be angry? Or is it just all these damn cats?

Of course I'm inclined to immediately blame the cats. Before I was even awake one of them was already in a tangled mess in my hair, going to town in an attempt to destroy my already messy locks. The moment my alarm went off the one named Steve, who was sleeping on top of me, startled and used my chest as a springboard to catapult himself high into the air and across the room, where he skidded into my floor lamp, sending it crashing to the ground.

I shifted my head on the pillow to peer up at Voldemort, the last of the three little demon felines in my room, who was happily kneading my pillow case, slowly and methodically shredding it into nonexistence. Sighing heavily I wrestle the tabby cat (Madam SparklePuss) out of my hair and trudge across my bedroom, stepping over my now useless lamp and into the hall in order to get to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

Twenty minutes later I'm kissing my cats goodbye (already forgiving their less attractive behavior because I cant stay mad at anything that cute) and heading out the front door for school. Once there I'm joined by my best friend, Eun-ji, who, without preamble, starts to talk about the weekend drama she'd had with her on/off boyfriend, In-guk for the last three years.

"So, like, then I saw that he's liked this bitch's instagram photos-"

"Oh my god." I replied dramatically to make it seem like I'm actually listening as I pull the needed books out of my locker. I really loved both of them and we've been friends since middle school. They're the only real friends I have, as my antisocial and typically moody self can only stand being around so many people. And half of the time I can hardly stand to be with my own friends. They know how I am and for some odd reason are still friends with me. I have no idea why.

"I know, RIGHT! So then-" her story came to an abrupt halt when she gasped excitedly and I heard her giggling as she started to aggressively poke my upper arm. I flinched and turned my head in her direction, a curse on the tip of my tongue until I followed her gaze and saw what she was giggling about. "It's your admirer!" she sang over my groan.

Kim Namjoon. I've never spoken to him. Until just a little over a month ago, I'm pretty sure we'd never even glanced in each other's direction. That was perfectly fine with me.

As stated above, I'm antisocial and prefer being on my own. Creating friendships with other people was not on my high priority list and dating and the opposite sex weren't even on said list. Not anymore. One experience was enough to put me off it for good. It's not that I hate Namjoon in particular.

It's just that I hate everyone in general.

We've barely ever spared a glance in each other's direction in our entire high school career, what with him being in a whole grade above me. But suddenly during my school hours he was everywhere I looked. Nine times out of ten his eyes were on me and I have yet to determine if he's bashful or bold. The expression he watched me with was one of fondness, a pinch of intensity and something akin to desperation? But every time our eyes would meet he'd quickly look away and I'd be lying to say I've never noticed the redness of his face.

Though I don't detect any sort of danger from him, nothing like a woman's intuition that tells me to avoid him, the stares do make me uncomfortable. I haven't the slightest idea why he's taken an interest now. I know my personality isn't the best. I can barely understand why my own friends want to hang out with me so I'm more at a loss as to why he's even interested himself in looking at me. Really, though, as much as I'm not interested I wish he would approach me already so I could reject him and the staring could stop.