Chapter 18: FIGHT ME IN THE PIT

🐈🐈🐈

What the fuck is going on?

What is wrong in Namjoon's head? He didn't even let me finish my sentence. All I was going to say was that I wanted some time to think on the relationship. Being told I'm his soulmate wasn't something I was just gonna be like, 'cool, bruh' and go on dating him like an airhead without thinking about it.

What I wanted was time to myself to find out if that's really what I want. Do I want to live as someone's soul mate? Do I want to give in to these feelings? Do I really want to dive head first into what appears to be a lifetime commitment at seventeen-years-old?

ALL I WANTED WAS TO THINK ABOUT IT.

Fight me in the pit, Namjoon.

He nearly made me go deaf cause he took it as me wanting to break up. Then said something like: "No, you're stuck with me, blah blah, smart stuff blah blah wolf stuff. The end!"

Fight me in the mother fucking pit, Kim Namjoon!

If you think for one second that I'll just bend to your will—

DING!

Oo! My bagel's done!

Happily I grab hold of my bagel and kiss dad on the cheek before heading out.

Naturally, the first thing I see when I open the front door is Namjoon's big, purple dinosaur head. Wait, that's not natural at all.

"Good morning, beautiful kitty!" He smiles so big his eyes are nearly closed, and those treacherous dimples have come out to tease me.

I don't reply, instead I narrow my gaze in on him as I walk sideways around him in a wide circle, never taking my eyes off of his figure once. He continues to smile as though this was completely normal and rotates on the same spot without breaking eye contact.

We probably look ridiculous.

Probably because we are ridiculous.

I continue to inch away cautiously, part of me expecting him to jump me any second. I hate that the idea makes me somewhat happy. The bagel comes to my lips and I take a slow bite while backing away, inch by inch, hoping that he won't notice the key to the spare car in my hand.

Then, before I can think twice about it, I dash for the car and jump in, driving off before buckling my seat belt because for some reason this is now life or death. As I drive away I catch his 'what the fuck' expression in the rear view mirror and nearly choke on the piece of bagel still in my mouth.

I cackle evilly on the short drive, feeling highly proud of this stupid accomplishment. I don't even know what's going on anymore. All I know is: I'm going win.

This is my last thought when I arrive at school, pull into a parking spot, hop out of the car, and come face to face with Namjoon.

"What the fuck!" I shriek, my hands gesturing wildly in the air.

His hair is flung about in every direction, his chest is huffing like he just ran a marathon. There's a bead of sweat trailing down the side of his temple and his glasses are nowhere to be seen so his eyes are more pronounced than ever. And they're looking at me like I'm the last ice cream on the hottest summer day.

He looks...animalistic...and hot.

Dammit Y/n, NO!

Without a word his hand finds my own and grips it tightly, then brings our clasped hands in front of my face as though to taunt me with it.

Fight me in the pit, Namjoon.

He sends me a triumphant smile...and then dissolves into a coughing fit, probably from the sudden exercise and lack of air. Seriously, how did he get here so fast?

"You good?" I ask exasperatedly while trying to twist my hand away without him noticing.

His grip tightens as his coughing fit continues.

"Good morning, Y/n ze kitty girl." Carl appears, donning twin hoop earrings and a shirt with Grumpy cat on it under his school regulated blazer. This guy is great.

"Carl!" I greet happily as Namjoon recovers and stands up straight. "Sup?"

Carl's green eyes flutter as he tilts his head in curiosity. At the same time, I can feel Namjoon's stupid eyes glaring into the side of my head.

"What does zis sup mean?" he inquires.

Despite the accent (and literally his entire appearance) I forgot for a second that Carl is a foreigner. "What's up. It's slang for what's up." I explain quickly.

His face breaks into a huge grin and it's so infectious I can't help but returning it. "Oooh, you sup!" he says happily. "Sup you!"

"I'm her boyfriend." Namjoon interjects, his chin jutting out as he shows off our clasped hands.

"Oh god." My free hand moves to cover my face in embarrassment as I mutter to myself.

Carl, sensing no danger, greets Namjoon warmly, actually seeming to be thrilled at the prospect of meeting more people. "I Y/n's boyfriend, too!" he says excitedly. "She said we be friends."

I can almost hear Namjoon's teeth grinding together and I have to force myself not to laugh at his discomfort. Why am I so mean today?

"Actually, we're not-" a tug on my hand cuts me off as the violet-haired jerk next to me drags me away.

"Bye, bye, Y/n!" Carl waves cheerfully, still sensing nothing wrong with this exchange.

Evidently, Carl is a bit on the dense side.

As I'm being pulled to the school building I ponder on the enigma that is Kim Namjoon. He's always been on the weird side. Whether that's smelling me or licking me or growling at my friends. Always strange, but never mean or condescending like my last boyfriend had been. For all intents and purposes, he'd only ever been sweet and caring towards me.

But I'm still angry and hurt. Why can't he understand that? Maybe because you never told him that.

I haven't. To be honest...this sounds really stupid, but I don't want to tell him that right now. I just want to be by myself and be angry for a while and have that conversation in my own time.

Except that I don't want to explain all this to him so he can understand. Rather, I'd like to hold a grudge and run away from him instead. Make sense? No, not to me either.

All the confusing pieces of these feelings would most likely come together with one conversation with Eun-ji. Despite her own relationship troubles she always gives good advice and seems to understand the workings of my brain better than I do. But that would entail me spilling Namjoon's secret identity and my own as his supposed mate so that's out of the question.

I'd really like to throw a book at Namjoon's face but instead I allow him to lead me into the building. Rather than speaking, I fix him with a cold stare until the time he's forced to let me go for the first class.

As I sit grumpily awaiting for the ever-pointless teacher to arrive, I sip on a bottle of water. Jimin and Taehyung have arrived and we've already exchanged greetings. I'm not exactly in the mood for conversation so I face away from them to gaze out of the window.

I don't know if it's written on my face, if Namjoon said anything, or if it's some werewolf sensing thing again, but Taehyung seems to know I'm upset. Silently he slips his phone on my desk and taps it.

Uninterested, I glance down at it to see a familiar video of Namjoon already playing.

"-and I'm sexy like a pornstar-"

Water flies out of my mouth and into the hair of the student in front of me, just as the teacher walks in, witnesses it, and immediately dishes out a detention, just for me.

For some reason, I blame Namjoon for this.

Edited 7/28/21