Chapter 40: I love you

🐈🐈🐈

BooBoo's POV

Y/n. I have always loved you.

I will always love you.

And really soon I'll be gone, but I will continue to love you.

You are my favorite person. My shelter, my protector, my baby, my pet, my companion, and someone I trust with my life.

You have always been good to me.

Even in times where I didn't deserve it, you took care of me. Food was always given, time was always allotted, cuddles were in abundance, and whenever I felt bad and had to go to that awful vet you took me.

I know I had a life before you, but that life paled in comparison to the time we spent together. That life was a dark tunnel not worth remembering and you were like the brightest sunshine that chased all of that darkness way.

Only you were worth remembering.

The first time I saw you, you were a cute little toddler with chubby knees and pigtails. You squealed and made grabby hands when you saw me and I put up with your less-than-gentle petting sessions because I loved you at first sight. You were just a little kitten then, so I knew I had to be gentle. Your mom said I was three, but in cat age, I was in my late twenties.

I was the only man in the house at that time, so that made me the protector of the household. This meant that I had to sleep in your bed and put up with your cuddles because you were the weakest human. You had to be protected at all costs.

You followed me around all day and at times, this new babysitting/protecting job could become very exhausting. But your happy smiles and bubbly laughter filled me with a sense of pride and belonging.

I love you.

Your eyes filled with wonder no matter what I did. It was so easy to entertain you. Jumping into high places was not easy with my weight back then, but I did it just for you.

The older you became, the more gentle your petting got. By the time you were old enough to leave to that place called 'school', I considered you as my daughter and that expanded my love and loyalty for you tenfold.

School. I didn't like it. I hated that you were out of my sight for so long. What if something bad happened and I wasn't there to protect you?

But as time progressed, I realized that this wasn't such a bad thing. I used those hours when you were gone to catch up on my sleep. If I was going to take care of you all day, I needed the energy that only sleep could provide.

There was a fear that you might forget me when you were gone for so long, but you never did. You always remembered me, and before long we had developed a routine.

I learned from experience exactly what time you would be back. Listening out for that clicking noise the door makes, I'd know you were home. Always excited to see you, I'd run straight to your arms and without fault, every single time for years on end, you always greeted me back with the same enthusiasm.

I love you.

One day your mom disappeared. I don't know where she went, but it made you cry a lot. I don't like it when you cry. I'm not absolutely sure why humans do that. And while all humans do it, it only makes my bones hurt when you cry.

Not long after that, our lives changed. We moved to a strange new place with new humans I never met before. Every night you would cry and every night those new humans tried to console you. Every night I pushed them away, partly because I didn't trust them yet, but mostly because you only stopped crying when I comforted you.