Chapter 17: Please Be Serious

6 inches = 15 centimeters

🐈🐈🐈

"You're his mate."

I have no idea what's going on anymore. Last night when Namjoon had finally passed out, his friends had come and removed him. They'd dropped him and bumped him against every surface so many times that I couldn't tell if they were doing it on purpose or not. I'm positive he's got to be covered in bruises.

Now the next day, Jimin, along with two others I'd never met before, had come back and explained everything as promised. Jimin introduced Hoseok, who was friendly but maintained a serious demeanor since they'd arrived, his mouth pursed into the shape of a triangle. Then there was Seokjin, or Jin, the too-handsome-to-look-at guy who'd greeted me in the school hallway once before.

Introducing themselves was the last normal thing that came out of their mouths.

After that it was a lot of information about werewolves. With every new piece of info my brain and everything in it started to slip away, bit by bit. The guys are explaining it well but somehow with more knowledge my brain feels stupider.

A mate? I thought wolves didn't mate for life? But apparently werewolves do. Ok. It's starting to make me look at them more as animals than people, though I feel wrong in that assessment. Namjoon didn't hurt me, he just came off as insane and intense. Apparently I'm irresistible.

Who knew that was a possibility.

This revelation of being his mate answers a lot of questions and everything makes sense now. This is why he wants to smell me all the time. This is how he knew who I was while in cat form. This is why he does all that he can to please me. This is why he growled at In-guk (cause evidently that wasn't a throat infection) for touching me and always sat in-between us. This is why, despite everything, he likes me.

Which begs the question. Does that mean he really likes me? Or are his feelings decided for him by nature? If things were different and he was human, there's no way he'd look my way, right?

These are questions that I'm too afraid to ask.

Apart from that, this is why I feel whole when he hugs me.

That.

That's the scariest part. It makes me feel vulnerable somehow to know that the reason my heart becomes peaceful is because of a force of nature that I can barely understand. Are my feelings even real, or is it like it is for Namjoon, something that can't be helped?

On the surface, they are. I like him because of the way he treats me (not counting last night) and always has a smile for me. This is the only thing I'm absolutely sure of.

"So wait," I interrupt Hoseok's explanation with my hand held in a halting position. "You guys knew he would be like that and still let him go?"

"No." The conversation was serious but Jin held a smirk on his face. "We had him locked underground in a cellar. He broke through a door that was six inches thick to get to you."

Well then.

"Y/n," Jimin says softly, "please don't be afraid of Namjoon-"

"I'm not afraid." I'm not, and I really don't get why. I wasn't scared last night, either, only frustrated. "He didn't hurt me or scare me," I explain, "just annoyed me half to death."

They all sit, blinking, clearly shocked by my passive attitude.

So what if I just found out that not only am I Namjoon's fated mate, but also that seven of his friends were werewolves too. It's aaaall normal.