Chapter 24: With Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

*bungeoppang: A Korean pastry in the shape of a fish with sweet red bean filling

🐈🐈🐈

I try to concentrate on mixing together the ingredients for bungeoppang, but that's proving hard to do with Namjoon breathing down my neck.

A sigh escapes me when I realize that he isn't going to let go. Some days his never ending hugs were like a koala bear's. Then other days they're more on the side of a python. Today is a python type of day. He'd learned to position his arms around my ribs in the right places so that it wouldn't set off my tickling reflex and once he got them there, it could be hard to get him to let go.

"Namjoon. I can't move. This needs to get done before we can go." In the back of my mind I wonder if the reason he's unwilling to let go was to keep us from going to this dinner tonight.

"Mm." His arms loosen a fraction, but still nowhere near to releasing me.

"Yah!" I fuss, starting to get annoyed. "I'm serious. Go sit at the table and watch me from there, you creep."

"You're mean." he murmurs into my neck. It might have felt nice if I wasn't feeling so smothered.

"Seriously, you're making me ma-"

"Kitty?"

The spoon I'm holding gets shoved forcefully back into the bowl holding the mixture as I let out an irritated groan. "What?" I snap.

"Can I kiss you?"

This unexpected question makes me pause. We've never kissed. Aside from that one crazy night that I'm still trying to forget. From the beginning we'd both agreed to take it slow and so far I'd been happy with that. I like him far too much to allow myself to jump in too quickly and so by pacing myself, I gave my feelings more room to adjust and grow. It was comfortable. I was comfortable.

Although I can't deny that I have thought about it. A lot. I wonder now if Namjoon has dwelt on the subject as much as I have. One would assume so since he was the first to bring it up, when all he'd ever been for the past weeks was a gentleman.

He wants to kiss me now, and he's asked for it as I'd informed him he would have to do. I also want it. So I should let him kiss me...now how do I say yes and not be completely embarrassed by it?

There's no way around that.

Not just my face, but it feels as if my whole head burns as I give a short nod and murmur a soft yes.

Previous irritation towards him now forgotten, I stand and wait before wondering if I should turn around to face him. That would probably be ideal but his arms are still holding me tightly, without much leeway for me to do that.

I open my mouth to question this but then snap it back shut almost immediately when I feel his lips on my neck. On that same spot again. What's up with him and that spot?

The first kiss is gentle, but short. The next one is just as soft, but this time is accompanied by a hot tongue that darts out and swirls over my skin and sets all my nerve endings on fire. I struggle to not make a sound and I'm not even sure why. Embarrassment? Maybe. But then I remember that Namjoon's personality can flip sometimes and his eyes become different.

"Don't agree to things you don't understand. I might just do it."

"Did that tickle?"

If a sound comes out of me and I unintentionally spur him on, would he flip like that again? The idea intimidates and evokes a curiosity in me.

The third kiss takes me by surprise when lips move gently, tongue glides effortlessly and teeth carefully nip. Not enough to leave a mark (hopefully) but just enough to catch my attention.