12

Today Nolan was supposed to come down.

After Chase and I had our little interaction in the hallway, I hadn't seen him around; my prayers were finally answered for once. The day after that, I met up with Roger in the library again. He told me he was good at math, so he will be tutoring me for now.

I learned that he wants to be an OB/GYN. He is going to Med school after this. He was also engaged once, but then he ended it. He called it a young mistake. The night we went to that big house party, he was drinking because of her. He is still holding on to some feelings and feels dreadful.

"So, when you are dealing with Functions, it can get tricky. You'll have to learn the steps. There's usually a pattern for most questions, so it's really easy."

"To be honest with you, I don't feel like doing this." I laugh. "Math and I don't collide. I must sound stupid." I lower my head.

"Not at all. We can switch homework. Essays aren't really my thing." He grins.

"Can we really?" I ask.

His phone started ringing, distracting him from answering my question.

"Sorry, it's Jackson." He holds the phone up to his ears. "What do you want? I'm tutoring right now . . . he what? . . . fine, I'll be there in thirty." He hangs the phone up and looks back down at the book. He looked worried and rubbed his hands all over his face.

"Is Jackson ok?" I ask.

"He's fine. It's not him. It's. . ." He stops talking. He must not want to tell me. "Let's just finish." I didn't want to ask again; therefore, I left it alone.

After some time, Trevor walked into the library. We caught each other's glance while smiling. We waved at each other. I signaled him to come by the table. I was confused when he walked away and when Roger said, "You talk to that loser?"

I don't know what he meant by that, but I knew it wasn't anything good. I inform him that Trevor is a nice guy. I felt bad afterward for not getting up to talk to him.

When I was done getting lessons from Roger, I headed to my sociology class. After that, I decided to give the running track a try. If I can't sleep off my troubles, then I'll run it off.

I continue running at the same pace as the other people, not getting ahead of myself. Thinking too much was slowing me down.

I pushed myself to get my pace back but was too slow and weak.

"Welcome to the back." I hear a familiar voice beside me. I turn my head to face Rose.

"What brings you here?" I ask her.

"I just left my Chem course. A complete headache it was. Running helps me. I noticed you when you started. What happened? Got tired?"

"Something like that." I chuckle, out of breath. More like Chase is what happened. I was too busy thinking about him to concentrate on my breathing.

"So, how was your first week?" We keep running while talking. Everyone else gets ahead.

"Good." I lie.

"Is Chase still bothering you?" I look at her and back at the track.

"Nope." I lie again,

"You sure? Has he not tried to mess with you or anything? You know you can tell me, right? My brother already told me." Trevor told her. Why Would he do that?

"Don't get mad at him for telling me. I had to force it out of him."

"As long as he's not telling everyone. What did he say?" I huff.