33

"Milly, is that you?" Ellie calls out from my bathroom

"Milly, is that you?" Ellie calls out from my bathroom. She turned the shower off just as I slammed shut the bedroom door.

"The one and only," I reply. I drop my books on the bed, regretting taking so many classes my first year.

"Good." She opens the door of the bathroom, letting the steam out. She showers in hotter water than I do, and you can literally see the steam coming off her flawless skin. "Listen, I know we had a rough week and all," She explains while wrapping the towel around her body. "But this is my last week, so I thought maybe I apologize for not spending enough time with you."

I sit on my bed, contemplating what to say. I don't want to be a burden on her, but these three weeks were supposed to be about us getting together. "It's no problem. You and the girls have more in common than we do." I mention to her. She takes her towel off willingly in front of me, as always, to place her undergarments on. I didn't mean to stare, but it was hard not to see the large black ink on the side of her upper thighs.

"Ok, that was not there the last time I saw you naked." I laugh. She steps closer to me so I can get a better view. "An anchor? Why?" I ask.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I wanted to get something meaningful. I was going to go with a dick, but I thought that was extreme." She struts with her joke.

"Here me out. We both get tattoos of Ken on our butt." I laugh. It was nothing but a joke but five-year-old us would beg to differ.

She gasps in shock. "We did say we were going to get matching tattoos of him, huh? I'm down if you are."

"Ewe-no." I exaggerated. "Let's leave our Barbie and Ken era in the past, yeah?"

"I'm serious!" She jumps to sit on the bed and tugs on my arm. "Your birthday is coming. We can get tattoos to celebrate!"

I'm glad she remembers, but that's not for another two weeks. "You won't be here for my birthday unless you come back to visit." I practically begged.

"If I did. Would we have a party?" she asked, and I instantly shook my head to refuse

"That's not fair. We always did something for your birthday." She pouts.

"We did sleepovers with girls that hated us." I remind her. The thought of it is traumatizing. Of course, the moment the parents would see our caretakers weren't mentally stable or, in other words, drunk and high off crack, they never let them step foot near us.

"Ok, no sleepover. We can have a party." She pushes the topic.

"No party." I frown. "I don't want to be a part of that anymore. I had my fair share of it. Now I'm able to say I did it and be done with it. I want to focus on school now."

"You're so responsible." She groans.

"I'm sorry I just want a decent future."

"It's a good thing. I wish I had been there throughout high school, so I could've taught you how to chill the hell out." She ridicules me while shaking her head in my face. "I thought about you a lot, you know. I didn't know when I was going to be able to see my best friend again." Her voice cracks. "It was hard being over there." I will always feel for her when it comes to being forced to leave home.