Ace x Reader

Thanks a million to sharl0tte for requesting this one! Modern(High School)!AU

_______

"Thanks, by the way! Nami said I'd have to pay for tutoring, and Zoro's always sleeping in class so he can't help, and Usopp and Sanji gave up trying to help," Luffy said, resting his hands behind his head as he walked.

"No problem," you said. "I'm glad to help."

"Sweet! Oh, and you don't mind that my brothers are gonna be around, right? They're not gonna bug us or anything, they just might be a little loud."

You shook your head. "That's fine," you answered. "And, why do you walk to and from school? Aren't all your brothers older and can drive?"

"Yeah. But the ones that go to school---Sabo and Ace---both have before and after school stuff. Practice and clubs and whatever. My other brothers' work schedules don't match up with school times. Don't worry, though, we're almost there."

His house was only a few turns and blocks away. It was two stories and looked like a miniature mansion. It made sense, though, considering all his brothers. You dropped your stuff at the dinning table, got some chips and soda, and started working immediately.

First was Algebra I, a class you'd taken the previous year in Junior High School. You blanked in the subject at first, but once he opened the textbook, your memories jogged pretty fast, and you started helping him with everything he needed for the final exam. Which was relatively everything. So you started from the beginning with variables and monomials and binomials and worked your way to quadratics within two and a half hours (including breaks), during which his brothers one by one got home.

"Okay, let's take a break and we can start with History after," you said, sighing after checking the last question on the review packet.

"Free! Dom! Yes!" he cheered, running to the couch and sighing. "Wanna play video games?"

You narrowed your eyes. "Only if it doesn't take too long. We've got a lot of work to do still."

He groaned. "So much work..."

"Dinner will be ready in probably 15 minutes," said one of his brothers, Thatch, that was cooking.

"Then we'll take a break, eat, then get back to work," you said, sighing.

Considering Luffy's confusion with maps and painfully terrible grammar and punctuation, history and English took a while. You two didn't finish until around 9:30pm, much to your mother's dismay. You assured her you'd be done soon and get a ride home, and yes the boys were fine, and no they weren't shady.

"By the way, it's still fine I get a ride home?" you asked for the umpteenth time, packing your stuff up. "My house is pretty far away..."

"It's fine," Ace---one of Luffy's many older brothers---assured. "Ready?"

"Mhm. See you Monday, Luffy," you said.

"See ya, and thanks again!"

"Anytime."

Ace snorted. "Might not wanna say that, he's a total idiot. You'll wind up helping him way too much."

You blinked and averted your eyes awkwardly.

"Seriously, though, if he gets to be too annoying, definitely shut him out," he said, pulling out of the driveway.

"It's honestly fine. I like helping out anyway, plus it's fun to be around Luffy and you guys."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you sure? It was just studying. Besides, you looked pretty exhausted."

"A-ah... Did it? I didn't mean to come across like that... I do quite enjoy your guys' company and helping."

He glanced at you for a moment before humming. "You're sweet," he commented, and you averted your eyes out the window as you felt heat rush up to your face.

"Th-thanks... You're very nice as well," you stammered.

He chuckled. "How adorable," he murmured. "Anyway, I don't see you around at school. Where do you hang out?"

"Hm? Oh, well, I'm a freshman, so I wouldn't imagine you would."

"You don't sit with us during lunch," he pointed out.

"I, er, well..." you hummed nervously.

"Not that it's a big deal or anything!" he exclaimed. "It's totally fine, I was just curious, honestly."

"Ah... Well, I just... Go to the library during lunch and before school and stuff and read."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "You can't eat in the library, though."

"You can if you're good at hiding it," you pointed out.

He smiled and huffed. "That sounds like a friend of Luffy's, but the whole reading thing is new. You enjoy reading, then?"

You nodded. "I do, do you?'

"Eh, I guess. I don't hate it, I just don't see the appeal of it."

"I've always thought it appealing because you get to live a new life. It's like, temporarily, you have a whole new story. You don't have to go to school or anything in this new story, you get to go fight monsters or go on adventures or make new friends and stuff..."

You smiled at the thought.

"Hey, there ya go." You questioned with a soft hum. "That's the first time you smiled all night. You should do it more often, it's cute."

You felt your face flush. "I, er, uh... K-keep your eyes on the road!"

He laughed. "Right, right. But really, you're adorable. If Luffy's not gonna take ya, I gladly would."

You didn't know how to respond, so you just kept your eyes out the window. A silence fell between you two.

"Sorry to make you feel uncomfortable," he spoke up.

"N-not at all. I just, didn't know how to respond," you explained awkwardly. "I spend more time reading people talking than... actually talking."

He smiled. "No worries. This is your place?"

You nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for driving me even if it's so late at night."

"Anytime. Hey, lend me your phone for a moment?"

"H-huh?"

"I'm not gonna steal it or anything, don't worry."

You unlocked it and handed the device to him, and he tapped away for a moment. When he handed it back, it was on a contacts sceen, his name at the top.

"Text me later, kay?"

"Right! Er, I'll... talk to you later then," you said, grabbing your back and heading out.

He waved goodbye, almost a salute, as you shut the door. You copied the action shyly, hardly raising your hand at all, before rushing inside.