Ace x Reader

Thanks to ODD_ROCKS for requesting! Love our freckled fire boy.

_______

It'd been some time since you'd docked at an island, so you had to really stock up on food. Being a main chef on the Fourth Division, you headed off with a long list and plenty of Beli with Thatch.

Having just dropped off the second load of the day at the ship, you and Thatch met up with Izo and Ace for lunch.

Ace had fallen asleep as Izo paid.

"Can you stay with Ace until he wakes up?" Thatch asked, standing.

"H-huh? Are you sure?"

"Mhm. And since I'll still need help with shopping, Izo, can you come with me?" Thatch smiled, Izo quickly got the hint.

"Sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll see you later, (Y/N)," Izo said as you handed him the grocery list regretfully.

"See you later," you muttered, halfheartedly glaring at the two.

Thatch only offered a knowing chuckle and a "Good luck."

He woke up a couple minutes later, and you briefly explained the situation. He smiled slightly as he nodded. "Sounds good. Hey, let's head out. Have any place in mind you wanna go to?"

"I... Well, I did want a knife from here, and I need to go to the forest near the other side of the island to get more wood."

"Then let's do that! C'mon."

He took your hand and dragged you along.

You felt your face heating up at the contact. "Wait, hold on a second! Slow down."

He stopped in his tracks and glanced back. "Right, sorry."

He didn't let go of your hand as the two of you slowed to a walking pace. He swung his arms, and you were too distracted by his fingers wrapped around your hand to really listen to what he was saying.

Before you realised it, you were in a weapons shop.

"Here's the knife section!"

You blinked. "Yeah... Right." You awkwardly pulled your hand from his as you browsed the blades, running your fingers over the sheaths and blades. You could see Ace frown lightly as you did, ending up wandering as you debated which one you wanted.

You jumped slightly as Ace yelled in your ear. You turned around, finding him in a red and black demon mask.

He lifted it from his face enough to talk clearly. "Look what I found!"

You giggled behind a closed fist. "Had some fun exploring the shop, huh?"

"There's like, a whole wall of these things!"

He grabbed your hand again and bounded along to the masks. For the next half hour, the two of you tried on masks and laughed at each other until you were pretty sure you two had tried on every one of them and had a good laugh about it.

"Alright, I actually need a knife though," you said through your dying laughter. You picked up the one you were looking at earlier, bought it, and headed out with Ace.

"And wood?"

You nodded. "The wood here actually looks really nice, but it looks like the forest on the West side looks like a dark woods, but the one on the East side looks like an oak woods. We can split up... unless you'd rather do something else, I mean I don't mean to take up all your time..."

"Don't worry about it, let's go together. I can cut wood pretty fast, fire and all."

"Er... are you sure? Usually fire... burns wood... not cuts it..."

"Nah, this'll go fine."

You blinked, knowing full well it either will go completely fine or horribly wrong, expecting the latter after being on the Whitebeard crew for long enough.

Thankfully, he had enough control in his devil fruit that he didn't start a forest fire (again) and cut a couple nearly-dead trees. It was nearing sunset by the time you'd gotten the wood cut into manageable pieces and in your room.

"Maybe we should meet back up with Izo and Thatch for dinner," you hummed. "I can call them."

"Hm? No need. We can go by ourselves," he assured. "Let's go."

You swallowed. "Are you sure...?"

"Definitely. Let's go!"

He took you to a fancy restaurant (where the employees insisted they wouldn't serve him unless he put on a shirt, but once he turned around and the workers noticed his tattoo and immediately seated you two) and practically ordered the entire menu thrice.

You had a good laugh when he fell asleep a few times, his face ending up covered in food. Whenever he didn't have food in his mouth (and when he was chewing, too, although he tried not to for the sake of manners), he held a one-sided conversation with you. Although you didn't participate, it was amusing nonetheless and plenty enjoyable.

"Tonight was fun," he said, holding your hand again as you two headed for the ship. "This'll probably surprise you, but this was my first date."

You could feel your face burning, and you could only hope the moonlight wasn't too bright as you tried to turn your head away. Date, huh?

"Y-yeah?"

"Yeah. It was really fun, we should go on another sometime!"

You glanced up at him for a split moment, a wide grin on his face. You couldn't help but reciprocate with your own bright smile and soft laugh. "I thought so too, we really should."